Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Single needling surgical scars  (Read 9633 times)

dc-girl

• Forum member
Single needling surgical scars
« on: April 21, 2013, 01:45:58 PM »
Hello,

I have some very new surgical scars and some not so new ones.

How soon can I start needling them?

Is there anyone on here that started needling at a certain date and can attest to when would be too soon and when is a good time to start?

Thanks!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: Single needling surgical scars
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 03:33:11 PM »
When the stitches have been removed, follow the instructions of your surgeon for "scar management". It usually involves pressure massage. Every day you'll apply pressure with your fingers onto the scar for approx. 20 seconds, spot by spot. A scar typically suffers from a reduced blood circulation and applying pressure will expel deoxygenated blood, allowing fresh oxygenated blood to flow in. This pressure will thus mechanically prevent the formation of a hypertrophic/raised scar.

The scar will improve significantly during the months after surgery. The dermis will heal in about six to eight weeks. Keep the scar moisturized. You can use our Infadolan ointment.

After six to eight weeks, you can start microneedling. Buy a 1.5 mm dermastamp with 35 needles and stamp the scar densely every three weeks. If the scar is thick and hardened, apply our Tretinoin cream right after stamping and massage it in.  Wait for several minutes and then apply our Infadolan ointment on top of Tretinoin.

In between your stamping sessions, apply Tretinoin three times a week (without stamping) and Infadolan every day (just a little to keep it moisturized).

dc-girl

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 03:35:12 PM »
Thanks!

dc-girl

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 04:20:58 PM »
Can I do single needling instead of the derma stamp? It seems like I could get more direct results with that but wanted to check with you because the scar is a funky shape.
Thanks

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 10:45:23 AM »
Yes, you can definitely use the single needle instead of a dermastamp.

dc-girl

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 06:01:44 PM »
I am going to single needle my atrophic boxcar acne scars. I think they are longer length than the dermastamp.............so
How often can I/should I do that?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 05:56:12 AM »
The single needles are approx. as long as a 2 mm dermastamp but they penetrate a little deeper because it's only one needle. So the approach is more targeted in several ways. You can also first needle the scars with the single needle and then stamp them or roll them (during the same session). A combination of various dermarolling tools is sometimes more successful.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 05:57:54 AM by SarahVaughter »

dc-girl

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 11:26:37 AM »
THanks!
So how often can I single needle my atrophic acne scars?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 02:34:49 PM »
Every three to four weeks.

You do not have to needle or stamp all your scars during the same session. If you have many scars, stamp one cheek, when it has healed, stamp the other etc.  Just write down the dates of stamping so that you do not stamp the same cheeks more frequently than once every three weeks.