Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Dermajet for hyperpigmentation and tummy tuck scar  (Read 8373 times)

BTE

• Forum member
Dermajet for hyperpigmentation and tummy tuck scar
« on: May 16, 2013, 02:51:23 AM »
Hi Sarah:

I'm interested in buying your Dermajet when it comes out to treat hyperpigmentation and to help with a new tummy tuck scar, and I have a couple of questions.  How frequently and to what needle depth would you recommend using the dermajet to treat post acne hyperpigmentation on the face; and would you recommend using it to help hydroquinone/ or a non hydroquinone alternative penetrate the skin (on afro-caribbean skin).  Secondly, I've read your instructions for the use of single needling tummy tuck scars: 
"Forums » Dermarolling / Microneedling » Dermarolling fresh surgery scars?" and I'd like to enquire if your dermajet would be suitable for this. 

Thank you

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: Dermajet for hyperpigmentation and tummy tuck scar
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 02:24:35 PM »
The Dermajet is very suitable for tummy-tuck and other surgery or accident scars or stretch marks but if you have only one scar and you're not going to need other needle lengths somewhere else on the body, buying a 1.5 mm dermastamp with 35 needles will be much cheaper for you. The dermastamp will eventually get blunt and you have to replace it but even two dermastamps are much cheaper.

If the scar is rather thick, apply our 0.1% Tretinoin cream right after stamping to soften the hardened collagen of the scar. On top of Tretinoin cream, apply our Infadolan ointment. Do not stamp the scar sooner than six weeks after the scar was formed.

If the scar is raised, perform the pressure massage described here:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/what-to-do-about-hypertrophic-scars/msg4877/#msg4877

Concerning hyperpigmentation, the Dermajet can be used (you should set up the needle size for 0.5 mm) but if the pigmentation is all over your face, it will be much quicker to roll it with a regular 0.5 mm dermaroller (up to three times a week) and then apply hydroquinone cream:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/african-american-pigmentation-1161/

You can also try the Tretinoin cream (it helps very much with post acne spots) but the 0.1% that you need for your surgery scar is too strong for the face so mix it with another cream (any cream you like) to dilute the percentage (or buy our 0.5% Tretinoin cream and use it both for your face and for your scar).

The most serious/dark post acne spots should be stamped with a 1.5 mm dermastamp every three weeks in addition to your 0.5 mm dermarolling sessions. Again, you can use a Dermajet but a 1.5 dermastamp with 35 needles is perfectly OK and suitable as well. The dermajet becomes cheaper than dermastamps & rollers when comitting to a multi-year needling regimen or when planning to buy many different rollers/stamps.

BTE

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 11:06:24 AM »
Thank you for your response Sarah. My only issue with the derma stamp is that I have between 5 and 10 individual hyperpigmentation marks on my face at any one time and they may be around 5mm max in diameter, so I worry that the derma stamp could negatively affect the surrounding skin.  I know that I ought to single needle these scars, but figured that the speed of the derma jet would make this a much less tortuous experience.  Apart from that, I have a small psychological barrier about sticking a needle directly into my face (or onto my other scars) and I'm hoping that holding a machine (the derma jet) between my hand and skin will help overcome this.  I will definitely be taking your advice about rolling my whole face and applying the hydroquinone though. Thanks again!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 03:38:43 PM »
Indeed, for many people it will be "psychologically" much easier to simly move a machine over their skin than to physically stamp the skin themselves. And also less painful. My husband for example has always resisted any type of dermaneedling that I wanted to perfiorm on his skin for testing purposes (documenting the improvement of certain scars).

I was therefore quite amazed when I saw him test the machine on his own skin! It's a psychological thing. Some people have no problem ramming needles into their skin, others prefer a machine doing it for them :-)