Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Scars from years of picking skin  (Read 17403 times)

smiler273

• Forum member
Scars from years of picking skin
« on: August 13, 2013, 01:17:57 PM »
Hi all,

After a bit of advice as to what im best to buy in terms of dermaroller/stamp.

I have pretty bad scab scars, large pores on both cheeks from years of picking my skin causing scars - Ive used loads of products over the years for my acne which has caused the skin to dry out and given me laugh lines and lines on the cheeks from the scars which ive tried to picture.

As you can see from the pics i have some deep scab scars at the bottom of my right cheek which are raised at the edges from a scab which fell off before they had healed properly causing the scarring. Im a 27 year old male and hoping to get rid of the laugh lines and scars.

Any help would be appreciated as to what to buy for my scars.

Many thanks

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: Scars from years of picking skin
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 06:35:12 PM »
Did you undergo dermabrasion or a deep peel? It seems that your outermost skin layer is somehow abraded on part of your cheek.

For the time being, buy just a 1.5 mm dermastamp with 35 needles and stamp every three weeks your raised post scab scars and your other scars that are indented. If you manage to improve your biggest scars, the overall texture will look much better.

Use the 1.5 mm dermastamp on your laugh lines as well.

Scabs should never be prematurely removed because this can leave scarring.

smiler273

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 08:50:16 AM »
Hi there,

Thanks for that , I'll buy a stamp and see how I go.

What cream do I need to buy alongside the stamp?

Yes I've had salicylic acid peels in the past for my acne and I'm currently using a light dermabrasion kit from olay.

Many thanks

smiler273

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 02:22:12 PM »
With regards creams. What cream should i use before and after stamping.

Many thanks
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 03:28:29 PM by SarahVaughter »

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 03:28:08 PM »
In your case, do not buy Tretinoin cream because your acne is already under control and your skin does not need more peeling.

You have to keep the treated area moisturized with a cream that you know from your experience does not break you out.

You could buy our vit. C powder to make the serum and apply it at least three times a week because vit. C is necessary for collagen production.

smiler273

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 03:37:01 PM »
Ok thank you.

After reading the forums i keep hearing of the numbing cream is this needed before stamping?

Im using the msm cream at the minute as above as its a good moisturiser for my skin. I also used Hemp seed oil as a moisturiser which doesn't clog my pores which i may go back to.

Will the cream above be ok for after use of the derma stamp.

MSM product overview

Description
Restores & Repairs Skin & Collagen Tissue

MSM (Methyl-Sulfonyl-Methane) is an organic source of sulfur. Sulfur is found in all cells and tissues and is critical to the health of our skin and nails (in addition to bones and joints). MSM may improve the integrity and resilience of the skin and collagen tissue while promoting Citricidal (Grapefruit Seed Extract) to limit bacterial contamination.

Suggested Use
Apply cream over desired area of skin. MSM cream contains 4.6 grams of MSM per ounce.

Other Ingredients
Deionized water, methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) , propylene glycol, caprylic capric triglycerides, glyceryl stearate, stearic acid, glycerin, dimethicone, aloe vera extract, triethanolamine, sunflower seed oil, sesame seed oil, jojoba oil, vitamin A (retinyl palmitate), vitamin D (cholecalciferol), calendula actiphyte, citracidal (grapefruit seed extract), melaleuca oil, petroleum jelly, magnesium silicate, caprylhydroxamic acid, glyceryl caprylate, vitamin E oil (dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate).

Contains no common irritants, allergens, artificial colors or animal products.

Warnings
For external use only. Avoid contact with eyes

Thanks

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 02:40:48 PM »
The cream is OK, especially if it does not break you out and it is a little heavier cream than a light moisturizer.

>After reading the forums i keep hearing of the numbing cream is this needed before stamping?

Some of our customers use a numbing cream and some don't. From my own experience with dermarolling, I do not need a numbing cream except in the area above the lips.

A dermastamp is less painful than a dermaroller.

The reason why a dermaroller is perceived as more painful is because it makes many more pricks per unit of time than a dermastamp does.

For example, in one second, you insert the dermastamp (that has 35 needles) in and out the skin only once - this is 35 pricks in the skin per second. A dermaroller is rolled approximately once around its axis during one second - which means 180 pricks per second.

180 compared to 35 pricks a second is a big difference in pain level.

I have used a 1.5 mm dermastamp many times on my face and my pain threshold is not very high in general but I think a 1.5 mm dermastamp is totally bearable and I would not use a numbing cream. This is of course individual.

smiler273

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 11:20:24 AM »
ok thankyou - ill probably leave the numbing cream then and just buy the vit c powder.

The above pics ive posted are of one cheek. I have the same small scab scars on the left cheek as well as laugh/frown lines which is from me using acne creams over the years and its dried my skin out. Ive tried to correct the texture of my skin using salicylic acid (20%) peels but i dont see much difference.

Whilst im ordering the stamp id like to order a roller for the lesser scab scars and lines on my forehead and left cheeck. ill only use the stamp for now to see how i get on but ill have the roller for future use.

What depth roller would you recommend for the less deep scab scars and laugh/frown lines?

Many thanks

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 08:42:01 AM »
A 1 mm regular dermaroller.

If you have frown lines in between the eyebrows (the "11's"), buy our single needles. From our experience, these lines respond excellently to targeted single needling.

smiler273

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
I've just received a 1.5 and a 0.5 stamp today along with the vit c powder.

The vit c powder should this be applied after each 1.5 roll every 3 weeks or should I be applying it daily after/inbetween rolling.

If I was to us the 0.5 stamp alongside the 1.5 for lines on my forehead and laugh lines is it ok to be using the 0.5 every couple of days or so then the 1.5 every 3rd week?

Many thanks

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 01:23:54 PM »
>The vit c powder should this be applied after each 1.5 roll every 3 weeks or should I be applying it daily after/inbetween rolling.

Please read:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/best-skin-care-routine/msg1125/#msg1125

>If I was to us the 0.5 stamp alongside the 1.5 for lines on my forehead and laugh lines is it ok to be using the 0.5 every couple of days or so then the 1.5 every 3rd week?

Yes.

smiler273

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 03:26:27 PM »
Last question - sorry to be a pain.

I've done my first stamp and rolled using the 1.5 stamp and roller....pain wasn't too bad. The next day I applied the vit c.

I've also bought a 3 line rolled 0.5 to use twice a week for product penetration.

You mention above I shouldn't use retin a which I have used in the past. The strongest form which cleared my clogged pores and improved the texture of my skin. But I believe that's what's dried my skin out and caused the laugh frown lines so I'd rather not use that.

I did also use a 30% salicylic/lactic acid peel to clear my blackheads and closed comedones which are coming back again even after having them all extracted.

Am I ok to continue the use of the peel weekly to clear the blackheads and closed comedones? Along with the derma stamping every 3rd week?

Thankyou

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 04:41:37 PM »
I think that using 30% salicylic acid weekly is overkill. Salicylic acid is really great for unclogging pores because it is fat-soluble and it gets inside the pores but you perhaps should use a lower percentage. If you have good experience with this strength, applied weekly, then continue but as mentioned before, your skin seems to be "over-exfoliated".

You can apply the peel when the skin is more or less healed from the stamping/rolling (when the swelling, redness, tenderness and dryness are gone).

Also, do not microneedle unless the skin is healed from the peel.

Remember, the more is not always the better.