Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Vitamin C airtight containers?  (Read 16462 times)

emily100

Vitamin C airtight containers?
« on: August 03, 2010, 02:36:41 PM »
This is probably going to be a stupid question...sorry!  

I am just now reading in the instructions, for the first time, that the Vit C serum should be kept in an airtight container.  I haven't been doing this.  It's such a very small batch I make up --- TINY!! The only airtight containers I've found are pretty big. Do you have any suggestions for a micro container that is airtight, by chance? Thank you!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 01:29:21 AM »
There is no need to worry if you make small batches, especially not if you keep it in the fridge and use it over the next days or so. It's just that airtight would be optimal (and no airspace above the liquid).

A few weeks from now we'll be offering the perfect airtight glass flask to store the vit. C serum. 50 ml, brown glass. This way you can store the vit. C in the bathroom and don't need to store it in the fridge. The price will be not too low due to the heavy weight, adding cost for shipping to us as well to the customer.

rita

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 08:35:36 PM »
hi sarah...i purchased a 50ml brown glass SPRAY bottle at the natural market for my vitamin c ...it works fabulous for evenly misting it on my face/body :) your vitamin c in combo with just ONE roll on my face has made such a visible difference its UNBELIEVable! i have been doing very high strength chemical peels for about 5 years, i wish i would have been dermarolling instead!!thanks for all you do

emily100

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 10:40:48 PM »
Sarah, will any amber or brown colored bottle work?  What about the spray bottle mentioned above -- do you think it is ok? My sister actually has one of those, I think.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 05:14:36 AM »
Sure, as long as the bottle is clean on the inside and can be closed airtight, then any bottle will do. As long as you keep it in a cool and dark place - preferably a fridge.

kakalakingma

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 09:52:52 PM »
I have a few questions: does Vitamin C (l-ascorbic acid) oxidized in crystal form? Do you need to keep the crystal away from air and light, too? Or is it only vulnerable to degranadation in solution?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 05:49:57 AM »
Vit. C is very stable in crystal form but it is always a good idea to keep it in an airtight container.

Vit. C is actually reasonably stable in boiling water or even frying oil. Its degradation is brought about mainly at lukewarm temperatures due to food enzymes. That's why it's best not to start boiling food in cold water, but put it straight into boiling water, so that the enzymes do not get the chance to be active.

kakalakingma

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 07:44:49 AM »
Thank for the the reply. I have a few more.

1) does the vitamin C dissolve quicker/better with warm to hot water?

2) I found this video on youtube and this lady demonstrate how to make a Vitamin C serum, but the thing is the end result is all brown in color!! The serum oxidized so fast! Is it better to mix the powder and (hot) water in the small bottle? And not in an open wide surface area container? The end result is supposed to be CLEAR, right?

[video=youtube;gSWg2piAoOs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSWg2piAoOs&feature=related[/video]

3) What if you want to add Vitamin E in along with Vitamin C so that the two can regenerate each other? How much should I add? Would this be a bad thing beause it can make it difficult to tell if the serum is oxidized or not since vitamin E is yellow. should I buy the vitamin E in the gel capsule and cut it open or buy it in bulk solution?

4) Where can I find ferulic acid? I want to make that SkinCeutical CE Ferulic acid serum. I heard it is very stable, more stable when you put it in the fridge.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 08:09:51 AM »
Vit. C dissolves much better in warm water, but it also dissolves much better when the crystals have been ground into a fine powder (due to the extremely enlarged surface area).

We bought a special grinder (480 dollars excl. shipping and taxes..) and we now sell ultra-fine vit. C powder ground with that grinder.

I have never seen brown discoloration with vit. C dissolved in water and I presume this is caused by using water with a lot of dissolved minerals ("hard" water).

I don't think oxidized vit. C has a noticeable color, so it may be that the acidic vit. C combined with a Mg or Ca to form a visible compound.

Vit. C does degrade by Oxygen, so a good idea would be to take a pan, boil some water, let it cool until it is still warm and then dissolve the fine vit. C powder into it.

Boiling the water will expel all dissolved gasses, including O2.

If you have hard water where you live, use demineralized water. This is cheaper than distilled water and just as good. Demineralized water is water suitable for use in old-style car batteries and steam irons. It's sold in pharmacies and car accessory shops.

Vit. E does not dissolve in water (but in oil) so it can't be mixed with water unless you use an emulsifier. So no, you can't mix them.

As to Ferulic acid - I really don't know..

kakalakingma

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 08:59:16 AM »
Ah, thank you so much for that information. Hard water, huh? I have a water filter, so that should help with the demineralization.

What is a good and simple emulsifer I can find at my local drugstore or food market? what about fatty acids like from olive oil or something? olive oil is a mixture of chemicals. Vitamn E capsure contains a few forms of tocopherols, but they are all oily. Right!? lol

I checked online and I heard that argan oil has ferulic acid and tocopherol. The only thing is I wouldn't know how much of argan oil I need to add to make 0.5% of ferulic acid. LINK

Chrystal

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 10:17:41 AM »
I put my Vit C Crystals in cold/room temp water( in an appropriate bottle) then give a good shake, the Crystals seem to disolve ok. But should I be using boiled water? Or is regular cold water ok?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 12:18:33 PM »
Any temperature is OK, if you manage to dissolve the vit. C in it.

emily100

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 04:24:14 PM »
I thought I read somewhere where you mentioned eliminating the need to put it in the fridge, if I bought your amber/brown bottle?? Maybe I am just imagining....Sorry if so!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 06:15:30 PM »
That bottle is just a convenient way to store the serum, keep it airtight and protected from light. It still is a good idea to keep it cold when you want to keep it for more than a few days.

kakalakingma

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 10:43:32 PM »
Hi Sarah,

I have a question I posted above I would like to hear from you.

What is a good and simple emulsifer I can find at my local drugstore or food market? what about fatty acids like from olive oil or something? olive oil is a mixture of chemicals. Vitamn E capsure contains a few forms of tocopherols, but they are all oily. Right!? lol