Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: what size roller is appropriate  (Read 9361 times)

Anna

what size roller is appropriate
« on: November 03, 2010, 07:06:19 PM »
Hi Im new to the whole derma rolling deal. I have some acne scarring on my jawline that is usually visible under direct sharp light. i think it would be considered "rolling scars" anyway theyre not that deep at all and with powder theyre almost unnoticeable however theyre still bothersome to me. So Im not sure how better to explain that, but I was wondering if you could give me any advice as to how long of a roller i should be using less than 1.0, 1.5, or even less than those two. Im really not sure what to use. If you could give me some advice on this i would really appreciate it. Thanks:)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:35:11 AM »
The skin consists of 3 main layers: The epidermis, the dermis and the hypodermis. Acne scars are in the epidermis (the injury that caused the its atrophy is the scar). Acne scars reach various depths of the dermis. That is why you have to use a roller that reaches the dermis. Meaning that the needles should be longer than 0.5 mm.

Try a 1 mm roller in combination with our custom made single needles. Single needling is the most intensive treatment for scars and you only needle the scar itself, not the skin around it.

How to do single needling is explained in our instructions:

https://http://dermaroller.owndoc.com/dermaroller-instructions.pdf

Anna

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 11:43:55 AM »
thank you so much! I was initially thinking 1.5 but I'll tak eyour advice:) Also I'm 30yrs old and I'm just starting to notice fine lines around my eyes. Can you use a roller in that area? And if so, what size is best for that? Thanks again I really value your opinion. Anna.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 03:07:29 PM »
You can use 1.5 mm. It will be just a bit more painful and since you are a "beginner", I thought a less painful roller might be better for you.

You can use the roller around the eyes except for the upper eyelids. The upper eyelids must not be rolled due to the risk of injuring the eyeball.

When you roll under the eyes, stick to this:  

When you put your finger under your eye, you'll feel a bone. Do not roll closer to your eye than where that bone is. Pull/stretch your skin downwards from the eye with your other hand and roll it with the other.

We sell a very small narrow 1.5 roller that is very easy to maneuver around the eyes and above the lip area. This roller has fewer needles and should not be used on large areas (such as the whole face) because it blunt faster due to the small number of needles it has.

You can roll around the eyes with a normal size roller as well.

You can for example buy a 1 mm roller + single needles and use the roller on your scars and around the eyes and use the single needles only on individual scars.

Dermarollers are also very good to rejuvenate sun-damaged skin of the décolleté, forearms etc. You will only achieve results after repeated rolling. Pre-treat your skin with dry brushing or scrub with fine salt (in the shower) and apply vit. C.

Anna

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 10:44:41 PM »
wow great advice. I think I'll go with the 1.0 and do needling on individual scars that seems the least risky thing to do since ive never done this before. Thank you soooo much for taking the time and effort to answer my questions I really do appreciate it.

FINLEY

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 09:42:07 PM »
Will you ever sell 3mm rollers?  Thanks in advance.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 05:50:41 AM »
I don't think so. The patent holder of the Dermaroller™ says it's useless and risky to go so deep as to penetrate the subcutaneous fatty tissue and areas with nerves. On top of that comes the risk of infection. 2 mm is really as deep as you should go on thick skin. We are considering selling 2.5 mm in the future, but only with a disclaimer that adverse side effects are the risk of the customer.

With such needle lengths (2.5 mm and above), proper sterilization is very important. You really shouldn't re-use such dermarollers. 2.5 mm and above is in the realm of doctors, not home-use. Some dermatologists do use such longer needles, but they are too risky to be used at home.