Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Advice on treating acne breakouts and blackheads before derma rolling  (Read 28096 times)

kakalakingma

Hi everyone,

Recently I have been breaking out and I have not experienced this kind of acne breakout in a LONG time. Plus, I would not want to use my derma roller over bumps. Gosh, just imagine already having ugly red blemishes and then turning your whole face into a tomato after rolling. OUCH? :mad: I strongly believe it is better to have a acne-free skin before treating the depressing acne scars that are left behind with the derma roller. My acne is most likely due to stresses from school, out of whack sleeping schedule, and horrible food choice. I have a pretty decent skin care routine should fight my acne. However, I am very interested to get some possibly new insights from you, the forum members, here on your product recommendations along with tips and tricks on handling acne.

Here is my skin care routine:

Daytime

Cleanser: Olay Foaming Face Wash, Sensitive Skin

Toner: Neutrogena Alcohol Free Toner (nothing special in this product besides a few humectants. I just like the refreshing feeling of the damp cotton rounds as I wipe it all over my face. Also, the damp cotton round catches dead skin cells, which is nice.)

Exfoliant: Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid

Acne Treatment: Clean and Clear Persa-Gel

Sunscreen: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid Daily Sunblock SPF 55

Nighttime

Cleanser: Olay Foaming Face Wash, Sensitive Skin

Scrubs: St. Ives Naturally Clear Green Tea Scrub (maybe 3-5X per week)

Toner: Neutrogena Alcohol Free Toner

Exfoliant: Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid

Acne Treatment: Clean and Clear Persa-Gel with 10% Benzoyl Peroxide

Retinoid: Prescription Retin-A 0.1% (after approx. 30 min)

Plus, about 1X every two weeks I use Biore Deep Cleansing Pore Strips to remove blackheads on my nose. None of my skin care products above has ever improve my blackheads or pore size. Only this Biore product temporarily make my pore look unclogged. Any tips on maintaining blackhead-free nose is appreciated!

Anna

Advice on treating acne breakouts and blackheads before derma rolling
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 10:59:13 AM »
if your acne is hormonal you pretty much will have a really hard time clesring it unless you take some kind of a hormone regulating supplement ir if you want to do it the easy way birth control pills assuming you're a woman. But it sounds like your cause maybe your diet so if you want to get clear eat as much as fresh begetables and fruit as you can. Stay away from fast food, fried food, pizza, candy, soda, anything with sugar in it basically. I had s rash of acne under my jaw/upper neck and I started on a new diet this weekall veggies anf fruit and nuts and it already cleared up 3 days later. I'm no expert on this Sarah would probably have better more substantial answers for you but thus is just what works foe me.

Anna

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 11:05:46 AM »
also on a side note it looks like you're using a LOT of products on your face perhaps overdoing it. Try giving your skin a break and juts wash once a day at night and put nothing else on it just wash it. I like burts bees chamomille cream cleanser it's very gentle, and being gentle on acne skin is key. There wa sone poing I only washed my face with water and my skin never looked better until I got the hormonal breakouts this  past couple of months which I'm suspecting I threw myself off balance due to some  itamins I was taking that had chaste tree(vitex) in it. Also try this too burts bees pore refining mask it comes in powder form and mix it with grapeseed oil and do this twice a day along with washing your face once a day it will clear you up fast. Yeah loong story, good luck though.

kakalakingma

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 08:53:41 PM »
Oh, wow this is so nice I got some feedback. Thanks you so much, Anna.

First of all I am a 20 year old male. I have oily to very oily skin type since the beginning of puberty. And my skin is quite influenced by hormone fluctuation from stress and bad diet.

I tend to avoid creamy consistency because they feel heavy on my face. Besides, I have very oily skin, so I really want to steer away from excess emollient ingredient and other oils.

I like your diet plan of fruits and vegetables. I bought myself fruits from Target but not eating any vegetables. lol. But I will buy some salad and eat for a week. I should also include fish for the anti-inflammatory Omegas or substitute with flaxseed oil to my diet. I really appreciate your feedback.

I do want to address your comment about putting too much on my face. I say otherwise. The cleanser and scrub are rinsed off every time. The toner is mostly water that will eventually evaporate and leaving behind a minute amount of water-binding ingredients like butylene glycol, panthenol, and NaPCA that will bind some moisture. The same thing goes with my BHA liquid and sunblock liquid because the watery consistency is very thin on my skin. Additionally, the BHA exfoliant functions as the needed antibacterial and oil-soluble keratoylic agent. So I don't think my skin is being overly saturated with ingredients with most of my leave-on products are serums, gels, and/or liquids. The only product that is "creamy" and "thick" and really feels like it stays on is my tretinoin cream. And that's only one product applied mainly at night.  after I finish the cream tretinoin I am going to buy Sarah's gel version.

kakalakingma

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 03:24:09 AM »
If you want to see the article in the original web page with users' commentary, then CLICK FOR THE LINK TO THE ARTICLE

I have also pasted the entire article below:

"Got acne or even just the occasional zit? Yeah, I'm with ya. Or at least I was, until I sat down with a few dermatologists to pin down all the many, many reasons I was breaking out. The shocker: I was doing sooo many things wrong, and I don't think I'm alone. So I figured I should share their top 13 sneaky causes of acne (get the full list here) so we can all have clear skin. No need to thank me.

But first, a random zit fact: did you know that acne-prone people are born with about four to five times more skin cells than the average person?! Crazy, right? Click here if you want to see some more acne trivia.

Sneaky Acne Cause No. 1: Pressure (literally)

Dermatologist Dr. Ava Shamban says there is -- get this -- pressure-induced acne. So if you're constantly talking on your cell phone, playing violin, resting your hand on your chin, you're giving your skin a double whammy. One, most of those surfaces are covered in bacteria and two, the actual pressure of those things on your face can cause acne. Click here to see how you can fix the problem.

Sneaky Acne Cause No. 2: Pressure (figuratively)

You already know that stress can get your heart racing and your stomach churning, but did you know that it also increases hormones that can cause breakouts? While you can't realistically knock all the stress out of your life (ha, wouldn't that be nice?), you can try to relax and minimize the drama. Say it with me now, ohmmmmm ...

Sneaky Acne Cause No. 3: Your Pillowcase or Towel

This is a multi-dimensional problem. One, your face lies on your pillowcase for hours at a time, and if it's not clean you're basically pressing a bunch of dead skin and bacteria onto your skin (lovely). Same deal with your towel -- your skin might be fresh from the shower, but if the towel isn't clean you're just wiping germs onto your face.

Annet King, director of The International Dermal Institute, suggests changing your pillowcase once or twice a week and using a fresh towel daily. However, that's only one part of the problem. If you use fabric softeners and dryer sheets they could also be causing breakouts. Turns out, the stuff that makes your clothes soft is tallow, which is -- wait for it -- animal fat. Ew. I don't know about you, but I don't want that on my face. Plus, detergents and fabric softeners with lots of fragrance can cause irritation as well.

Sneaky Acne Cause No. 4: Over-Drying Your Skin

Sure, it makes sense at first glance: if you dry out oily skin with harsh cleansers, alcohol-based toners and skip the moisturizer, your skin won't be oily anymore. But ... it doesn't really work like that.

Instead, drying out your skin this way will cause it to up its oil production, making the whole situation worse. King explains that the skin tries to correct itself and so if it feels dry it will begin to produce more oil to balance things out. See what you can do to keep your skin hydrated but not greasy here.

Sneaky Acne Cause No. 5: Tanning

Back in the day, people used to recommend tanning to clear up skin. And in the short term it does kind of work. The sun dries out your skin and UV rays do have an antibacterial element, but tanning is so not the way to go. For one, we already learned that over-drying your skin will cause it to produce more oil.

Also, tanning causes your skin to increase cell production (which means more dead skin cells), so while you might get a bit clearer at first, tanning will end up giving you more breakouts. And don't even get me started on all the skin damage, cancer risks and wrinkle issues.

Sneaky Acne Cause No. 6: Your Hair Products

What's that you say? You don't put hair products on your skin? Well, unless you consistently wear your hair in a slicked back ponytail and never let a strand near your face, I'd say that's just not true.

King says hair products with oil, silicones and plasticizers can clog your pores, and if you wear your hair down, have bangs or even sleep with your hair loose it can get on your face and work it's non-magic. So keep the products to a minimum and keep your hair off your face as much as possible. These hot updos and ponytail ideas are just the ticket.
"

Anna

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 08:19:14 AM »
I like that article everything is right on target and I do every single thing on the list to prevent zits. Anyway as far as the product usage if iall that is working for you great! Continue using it but seeing that you're still getting breakouts you might want to try and cut down. Even though you wash the cleanser off and the scrub you're stripping your skin of the natural oils and that makes it produce even more oil so thus I wash it once a day with a creamy cleanse that keeps my skin soft so I don't have a need for a moisturizer although I do use one only 2 to 3 times a week. The point I'm trying to make is your skin has the ability to fix itself without all that unnecessary stuff like toners scrub whatever the bha is and what not even scars( except I don't feel like waiting decades for the natural regeneration so that's where dermaroller comes in haha) anyway I don't go to dermatologists anymore I try to take care of my problem on my own because when I used to see one they would put me on endless anntibiotics and told me a bad diet won't cause my acne. So whatever I dont have a lot of faith in traditional doctors anymore they're full of it. My theory is if everyone was healthy and acne free they would be out of a job so they want to make sure you keep coming back by putting you on alll kinds of crap and further ruining your health.

kakalakingma

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 09:47:16 AM »
Anna,

I am glad that you like the article! Also, I used to follow the tips from the article very well until recently I got into bad stress and eating habits. Yeah..life. LOL. Let me address some things in your previous feedback above:

I believe any cleansers with surfactant detergents such as those derived from coconut will strip a certain amount of oils. I think your skin only produce more oils as a response to an irritation. From what I have researched, it is over-stripping your skin of its natural oils with cleaners consisting of too much detergents or one or more types of harsh detergents (e.g., Sodium C14 16 Olefin Sulfonate  or Sodium Lauryl Sulfate). I testify that the cleanser I used, Olay Foaming Face Wash, Sensitive Skin, does not overly degrease my skin at all; my skin does not feel "squeaky" clean. Actually, sometimes when I had my long days, I tend to use the cleansers 2X to remove all that nasty excessive greased built throughout the day. Yeah, I am an oil-slick. I hate it. I might need to reuse the Neutrogena Acne Wash with Sodium C14 16 Olefin Sulfonate because that cleanser give me squeaky clean result. LOL. Another thing that I have read else that can cause your oil glands to produce more oils is to repeatedly used alcohol-based toners on a daily basis. Or irritation from artificial fragrance and dyes assuming they do irritate your skin. If your creamy cleanser work for you (perhaps you have normal to dry, sometime combination skin types?), then great!

I agree with you, Anna, about the toner and scrub that I used. I don't really need them. I used the toner because I like the feeling of the damped cotton pad over my face. I used the scrub because I like the feeling of scrubbing my face (gently, of course). BHA stands for beta hydroxy acid or most likely known as salicylic acid in the world of cosmetic dermatology. It has good research support its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and oil-soluble exfoliating abilities. A fabulous ingredient to incorporate into your routine, especially for acne prone skin may I add.

I am not so sure I am all there with you on the "your skin has the ability to fix itself ... [and] natural regeneration" when it comes to scars. I have so many acne scars on my face (it's depressing at times; but I try to get over it) and a few I remember for nearly many years going on a decade soon. I think it depends on the type of scars. But I do believe once a skin tissue is dead and gone from collage depletion or whatever, you have a depressed scar that last... for a life time. Of course, you can smooth it out with chemical peels and what not, but I say it stays. I am hoping the derma roller to give me hope. So I agree with you on the derma roller, ha ha.

You are so lucky you get to go to a dermatologist. I do not have that luxury. I have so many questions it is exhausting to count.

I feel bad that you lost faith in dermatologists. Maybe just bad experience with bad dermatologists. I hope. I know you know this, but I will just address it. They don't just handle people with acne. There are a variety of things you should go to your dermatologist for. I can think of several on the top of my head right now: Skin Cancer screening, Botox, Intense Pulsed Light (broken capillaries), Non-/Ablative Lasers (scars, pigmentation; say if derma rollin is not working as you like), Fillers. Now that's just the cosmetic dermatology. There are dermatologist who love to help people with rosacea, psoriasis, melanoma, eczema, vitiligo, autoimmune skin diseases, and the list goes on. Anna, trust me, even if  everyone is acne free, cosmetic dermatologist or just regular dermatologist won't go out of business because there are a plethora of problems with beauty that can make a profit out of. We are a long way from cures and perfection.. that is all wishful thinking... for now.

Anna

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
let me clarify what I meant about your skin having the ability to fix itself and natural regeneration. In my experience if I eat healthy my skin looks healthy and breakout free, if I don't eat healthy I get breakouts. If I'm under a lot of stress or using too much or the wrong product, I breakout. Ten years ago I had a rash of acne after my daughter was born and left me with pretty deep scarring, and now a decade later it's almost 95% improved and I haven't done anything fancy at a doctors office, or used some miracle creams it just filled in on it's own. That's what I meant by the natural regeneration the skin renews itself it's constantly shedding dead skin and renewing itself he only downside is it took a decade and I don't want to wait another decade for the rest of the newer scarring to heal so I'm doing dermaroller. As far as the toner if you like the feeling the toner gives your skin you could just soak a regular cotton pad with water and do that instead.

kakalakingma

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 07:26:40 PM »
Oh I tried it with water, I guess there is a slight difference texture of the liquid of toner vs. water. I think that is fantastic that, in your case, your acne scar heals extremely well. I mean, 95% is amazing. What was your skin care routine during the decade? What is your skin care routine nowadays? What is your skin type?

The only thing I am not sure about is whether or not shedding of skin equal building collagen and replacing lost skin tissue from acne scar.

Anna

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 08:15:47 AM »
well I've always used natural producta on my skin with natural ingredients like camocare and burts bees. My skin used to be ridiculously oily until I  realised the food I was eating was the cause.. Now my skin is I would say combo I get oily in the tzone and my pores are quite small now that it's not oily all over like before. Right now I use burts bees chamomille cleanser and a moisturizer by skin organics called vanilla acai. Although I will be trying a cleanser too from that line because the lotion has been very good to my skin. I do remember though using vitamin c in capsules avon used to sell those I'm not sure if they do still so maybe there a link there, maybe it was the vitamin c. The only scarring that has nor changed at all are my chicken pox scars I've had for about 20 years so that's something I'm hoping the roller will imrove too.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 11:59:45 AM »
I hope that more people will share here their personal experience and advice concerning acne!

Try this: https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Oil-cleansing-method-to-get-rid-of-blackheadsp/a>

kakalakingma

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 09:51:09 PM »
Anna;915 wrote: well I've always used natural producta on my skin with natural ingredients like camocare and burts bees. My skin used to be ridiculously oily until I  realised the food I was eating was the cause.. Now my skin is I would say combo I get oily in the tzone and my pores are quite small now that it's not oily all over like before. Right now I use burts bees chamomille cleanser and a moisturizer by skin organics called vanilla acai. Although I will be trying a cleanser too from that line because the lotion has been very good to my skin. I do remember though using vitamin c in capsules avon used to sell those I'm not sure if they do still so maybe there a link there, maybe it was the vitamin c. The only scarring that has nor changed at all are my chicken pox scars I've had for about 20 years so that's something I'm hoping the roller will imrove too.

Ah, so certain types of scar does stays. You were lucky with that acne scar from that rash, then.

Oh, and your so-called "natural" products aren't really all that natural. Have you read Paula's Begoun book, the beauty bible? LOL. I am so zealous about skin care talk. Do you know about beautypedia? I have a subscription I can get you some product recommendations!!

What sunscreen do you wear?

Here is an article regarding organic and natural skin care:

https://http://www.cosmeticscop.com/organic-and-natural-skin-care.aspx?filter=itemtype%3acontent

Anna

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 08:09:30 AM »
you asked for help I offered it. There's no need to challenge me on my knowledge of what's natural and what isn't. Good luck to you.

kakalakingma

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 09:20:26 AM »
I didn't mean to imply any mean tone with that. My apology. I was just being zealous like I said.

Anna

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 08:32:23 PM »
that's ok I can be overly sensitive sometimes haha let me know how the diet of fruit and vegetables is working for you :)