Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Different length needles on supposedly same length rollers  (Read 6119 times)

turtle

Different length needles on supposedly same length rollers
« on: March 26, 2011, 11:11:27 PM »
Hi guys—

I recently ordered from Sarah's site

1- narrow 1.5mm

1- normal 1.5mm

1- normal 2.0mm

However, the needle length on the 1.5mm is not matching the needle length on the other normal width 1.5mm. Additionally there is a color difference between the needles of the 1.5mm and the 2.0mm. As marked, the 1.5mm is steel or steel colored and the 2.0mm is the bronze color. However, when I compare the needle length of the two they seem almost to be exactly the same length. I am confused and am worried that somehow something got mismarked and now am scared to roll because I don't want to be using a 2.0mm on my face. The 1.5mm narrow that I have has needles that are significantly shorter than both the 1.5mm and the 2.0mm. But maybe I am missing something....

turtle

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 11:21:36 PM »
Ok, I have looked longer and I am pretty certain that the

normal 1.5mm

and normal 2.0mm

have exactly the same needle length and differ only in needle color (silver vs. bronze)

the one labled 1.5mm narrow has significantly shorter needles, perhaps .5mm shorter...

has anyone else found this? is there something in the mechanics of this all where the perceived needle length is not important?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 07:30:07 AM »
Hi Turtle,

We have recently switched supplier and are slowly transitioning to the new rollers so it is possible that the needle color is different, but needle length should not significantly differ.

However, when comparing just by looking at the needles the needle length of a narrow and a full-width roller, the needles on the narrow-head roller will seem to have a different length, relatively speaking, to the roller head. The only reliable method of establishing needle length is to do an actual measurement with a caliper. However this is not possible to do accurately because the other needles are in the way.

Especially because the difference of 0.5 mm is so small that when you compare them purely visually, you'll perceive a big difference if you don't use the same-width rollers.

We work with different suppliers. The dermastamp, the narrow and wide rollers all come from different factories, and we are phasing out the old model narrow rollers with new models - again from a different factory. The 2 mm rollers are also from a different factory. The reason for this is that some factories do not produce the entire range of products we have on offer. We order our rollers in bulk (500 at a time per needle length) but some factories simply don't have the moulds for narrow rollers for example.

If you think something is wrong with your roller though, if you think a roller clearly has too long or too short needles for example, we may simply have sent you the wrong roller or the factory may have made a packing mistake. In that case we'll send you a replacement free of charge.

If you notice something really wrong with a roller, we appreciate a sharp, well-lighted closeup photo so that we can forward it to the factory for quality control. But I think that when you have a 1.5 mm roller from factory A and a 2 mm roller from factory B, that in some cases it could be possible that factory A gives you a 1.65 mm roller and factory B gives you a 1.85 mm roller and they look almost the same to the naked eye. In case of doubt, we'll issue a refund or send a replacement if you're not happy with a roller - no need to send us a picture.

Needle length is not too critical. Firstly, everyone has a different skin thickness, and skin thickness varies greatly depending on what part of the body it covers. Secondly, needle penetration depends on several factors: How hard you push (our rule of thumb is that on average, needles penetrate 0.3 mm less into the skin than the actual needle length), skin thickness, speed of rolling (a fast roll penetrates a bit less deep than a slow roll). Therefore, needle length is not critical. How it works is that you judge all those factors (skin thickness, needle length and what you are trying to achieve on the skin) and then you decide what pressure to apply to the roller. A few tenths of mm more or less are not going to matter.

Dermarolling is not an exact science yet and internally (plastic surgeons, dermatologists) we only talk about "short, medium and long needles"). It doesn't matter too much how long the needles are, as long as they are not too short not to reach the dermis, and not too long to come out too far at the other end of the dermis. Short needles cause no significant collagen induction, in spite of what some self-appointed "experts" (White Lotus) claim online. Vegan philosophies are no substitution for digging into the medical dermatological literature. "Medium" needles do reach the dermis. And long needles also do, but the real experts (the patent holders on the original Dermaroller(tm) for example) say that the really long needles (3 mm and above) have no added value and are risky. They are more of a way for plastic surgeons to persuade their clients not to homeroll because it looks as if the bloody method is somehow more "rigorously medical" and therefore more effective and hence worth the thousands of dollars they charge for such procedures in a clinical setting.

Again, if you think you've received a mislabeled roller - that has happened before and we're more than happy to send you a replacement!