Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Why repeating dermarolling sessions?  (Read 7392 times)

jony

Why repeating dermarolling sessions?
« on: April 17, 2011, 02:18:54 AM »
Hi to all.

I am new to dermarolling. I did 2 sessions so far with 1mm, spaced 2 weeks apart. I am dermarolling to reduce acne scars. Not much visible results.

After reading articles on internet and this website i realised that collagen takes months to form and visible results are after months.

My question is, why do we repeat dermarolling sessions if collagen forms months later? Why don't we dermaroll once, then wait couple of months for collagen to form and see results, and if theres not much improvement or not satisfied with improvement we roll once again , to improve those results, wait again for months for another results.

Why do we do, for example  5 dermarolling sessions spaced 2 weeks apart and then stop and wait for results?

Another question, are results from dermarolling permanent? Will i still have improvements when i stop dermarolling and using topicals , are those results going to be visible for example 2 years from last roll, or skin will just return to same state before rolling.

I hope my questions are clear and i would really like to know answers to these questions.

All the best.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 03:59:13 PM »
We repeat it because we want to incite the skin to the cumulative production of Collagen.

Collagen starts to be produced very shortly after dermarolling but it is later transformed to other types of Collagen (there are types I, II and III) and the whole process takes months to be completed. You can trigger new collagen production when the previous collagen phase (its transitional phases) is not yet completed. You should however give your skin time to regenerate in between dermarolling sessions and you should avoid inciting overly frequent deep inflammation. Avoid rolling very frequently with dermarollers that can reach the dermis (> 0.5 mm long needles).

We have many more customers who achieved results only after a very long time of dermarolling than customers who achieved results within just a couple of months, especially when dermarolling against scars or stretch marks.

You can of course do as you suggested and wait but it is not necessary.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 05:23:35 AM »
Regarding the permanency of results: It depends.    

If you roll for scars and you manage to make them less indented, results should be permanent. I had a little scar on my forehead that improved greatly two years ago with needling and the result is still there today.

Improved hypopigmentation should be also permanent since dermarolling or needling in many cases trigger melanocytes (pigment-producing cells) or activate  "dormant " melanocytes and those cells are going to stay unless you suffer from some kind of melanocyte production disorder.

Improved hyperpigmentation will likely get worse again with sun exposure without strong sun protection.

Improvements of hypertrophic scars should be permanent.

Dermarolling cannot stop aging so improved wrinkles or other signs of aging will not be permanent and need regular maintenance.

Acne scars or stretch marks might need occasional maintenance. Dermarolling is a relatively new procedure so there have no really long-term follow-ups done yet.