Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Dermarolling and superficial injected Restylane  (Read 11901 times)

lola

Dermarolling and superficial injected Restylane
« on: May 13, 2011, 07:18:03 AM »
Hello Sarah,

I would like to start with dermarolling to address a thickening to my skin on the face and get rid of the signs of aging on my neck (looks like pergament) and chest(some deeper lines) .What size would you recommend ?

I had some restylane injections (mesotherapie) in the past and unfortunately it was to superficial injected. This little "chickenpox" are visible on my neck and chest. It is now a year ago, since I had this injection. The doctors said, it will disappear by itself, but it needs some time. I would like to know, if its possible to roll over it?

On my face I had some injections too, but its  more than 3 month ago since the last injection.In General is it possible to dermaroll with a larger size 1.0 or 1.5, even though I have filler in my face?

Thank you.

Best regards,

lola

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 02:25:14 PM »
You should use a 1.5 mm dermaroller every 3 weeks.

Restylan usually lasts from 4-9 months, exceptionally a year (especially in the areas where there is very little muscle movement such as under the eyes). I would be very surprised if your "chickenpox" is remaining Restylan but maybe it is.  Yes you can roll over it, it might even speed up its diminishing because it is superficially injected.

If your bumps do not disappear, go back to your doctor. They can inject the bumps with an enzyme that breaks up hyaluronic acid, the active ingredient of Restylane.

If you had fillers injected, wait six weeks with dermarolling using long needles such as 1 or 1.5 mm. You can roll elsewhere but do not roll for six weeks over the injected areas.

lola

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:22:59 AM »
Hello Sarah,

thank you for your response. Is is okay to roll with a 1.5 long needle underneath the eyes and the neck or should I use a shorter needle? What is the difference between 1 and 1.5 long needle.

Can you plaese tell me for how long I need to protect my skin from the sun and is it possible to get hyper pigmentation? I plan to go in august on vacation and will be mostly on the beach. How to protect myself or is it better to start in fall or winter with my treatments?

Are there any side effects with dermarolling? Can I damage my skin in the long term, I researched a bit, but couldn't find any long term experiences?

Is it  possible to put Emu oil right after the dermarolling, since emu oil has also antibacterial abilities?

Can I ask you a personal question? Are you deramrolling and if yes, how long have you been doing this and are you satisfy with your results.

Your forum is fabulous and thank so much answering our questions.

Best regards,

Lola

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 06:56:34 AM »
Yes, you can roll with a 1.5 mm dermaroller around the eyes but read my answer (mine is #3) to this forum posting:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Can-I-use-a-Dermaroller-on-this-area-under-the-eye

The difference between the 1 mm and 1.5 mm dermaroller is that a 1.5 mm dermaroller reaches deeper into the dermis part of the skin (and it is more painful than a 1 mm). They both trigger collagen but if you have scars, a 1.5 mm is a more appropriate size.

You should avoid the sun as much as you can (wear a hat and sunscreen and do not suntan) for at least three days after dermarolling with long needled dermarollers. You can of course go outside, but protect yourself as much as you can.

After that, use a sunscreen and do not catch sun for some more days.

You can start with your treatments now, no problem. One week before your beach holiday, stop dermarolling.

Dermarolling is a relatively new method and you cannot find any long-term follow up studies.

Dermarolling is a safe method of skin rejuvenation because it doesn't remove any layers of skin, it doesn't use heat (heat can potentially cause hyperpigmentation, receding fat or necrosis), it doesn't thin the skin, it doesn't cause long term inflammation, it doesn't burn the skin, and since only fractions of skin are treated (each dermaorolling prick is surrounded by untreated skin) it heals extremely quickly.

Many of us accidentally pricked ourselves with a needle and there was never any side effect.  Dermarolling is principally the same, only the needles are much thinner than a for ex. a sewing needle and you make very many pricks in one go.

You can use Emu oil.

Yes, I have been dermarolling for about three years and I have tried all products that we sell.

The most amazing result was on my décolleté where I rolled for quite severe sun damage and my skin looks really good there now.

Surprisingly, the deep wrinkles around my mouth improved more than the relatively shallow wrinkles around my eyes. I had to use a numbing cream when rolling around my lips.

I had no scars so I cannot report about that and I do have cellulite but I am past the age to bother about cellulite. I was also rolling and dry brushing my forearms for skin laxity and it also improved. Not to the point that it looks 15 years younger but it is a noticeable improvement.

I wanted to single-needle my husband's chicken pox scar but he said no way he will let me torture him with any needles :-)

lola

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 10:05:10 AM »
Thank you Sarah for sharing with me your experiences.

The Thread from Rollin "strechmarks on face" scared me a lot and since i have a very fair sensitive skin and burn easily in the sun I would try first on a little patch on my face or neck, if the procedure is safe for me. What do you suggest, to take a stamp or a  rolller or even a single needle to test a little area. And what area should I test without looking weird afterwards?

Since I don't have any scars I think to go with 0.5 or 1.0 mm , is 0.5 also triggered collagen?

Thanks,

lola

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 06:20:38 PM »
Since you want to improve the texture of the skin on your face, neck and chest, neither single needles, nor a dermastamp are suitable for that. You need a dermaroller.  

And because you have sensitive skin, use a 1 mm roller. Try it on a small area of your chest for example. The redness from dermarolling will disappear within hours.

lola

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 02:28:53 PM »
Dear Sarah,

I had my first roll 2 weeks ago and it was absolutely not a big deal at all. I was so concerned and frightened and I could hear my heartbeat during the procedure:-D. I read a lot about it and I was so scared I could develop scars or left by visible stitches or get other side effects. But everything went well, like you did describe again and again. I had a mild sunburn reaction  and the day after I could barely see any traces from the rolling.

Now, my skin is a little bit dryer than before. Is this normal?

I would like roll again in a couple of days. Would this be okay, since I rolled 2 weeks before?

Regarding my superficial injected Restylane and the bumps I  got from the treatment. I went to the doctor and she injected Hyalase (enzyme) and the bumps disappeared. My question now is, how long does the enzyme stays underneath the skin, can I roll over after a couple days or should I wait longer? I don't want to eliminate my own hyaluronic acid.

Best regards,

lola

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 10:24:18 AM »
Good to hear everything went OK. Yes, drier skin is totally normal after dermarolling. The skin is renewing. You have to moisturize a lot.

Maintain about three-week gaps between dermarolling with a 1.5 mm.

The half-life of hyaluronidase is about 3 days. It means that every 3 days, the levels are halved. It will be totally gone in about 30 days. (ten half-times).

I am not sure I understand your last question. You mean whether dermarolling would somehow enhance the effect of that enzyme or spread it from its original limited location?

To be honest this is really a difficult question and it would be wise to wait two weeks before you roll again because I am not sure about this one. If you want to be sure, just wait.