Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Different Retin-A products  (Read 7400 times)

stephie426

Different Retin-A products
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:40:34 AM »
Hi Sarah and everyone. I have a general question. I am wondering if there are substantial differences between the following Retin-A type products? Do they all do basically the same thing?

Retin-A

Retin-A Micro

Renova

Tazorac

Refissa

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 09:09:21 AM »
The active ingredients in all of them are topical retinoids:

Retin-A contains tretinoin (retinoic acid)

Retin-A Micro contains tretinoin (retinoic acid)

Renova contains tretinoin (retinoic acid)

Tazorac contains tazarotene - this is a topical retinoid similar to tretinoin

Refissa contains tretinoin (retinoic acid)

They all do the same thing. You can buy them in various concentrations and they may vary by base ingredients and additives.

The more is not the better concerning topical retinoids. High concentrations will irritate the skin. Do not apply too much. Mostly, a pea size amount is enough for the entire face.

If retinoids make your skin red and flaky, reduce the amount and frequency of application. The skin will slowly get used to retinoids.

Both tretinoin and tazarotene are also used to control acne but initially, acne may worsen before it gets better.

stephie426

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 11:10:20 AM »
Thank you for the clarification Sarah!

Flyer17

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:21:59 AM »
Thanks for the information, Sarah.  I still have some mild acne and because of the scars, my dermatologist mentioned retinoids (specifically Tazorac) as something that could help with both.  However I still have a few deeper scars that I will want to needle, and I was wondering if there was a way to build a schedule around using Tazorac (or another retinoid) daily or several times a week and needling once or twice a month?  I've heard that retinoids thin the skin, is that true, and would that make needling at the same time safer or more unsafe?

Thanks!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 11:23:50 AM »
You can use topical retinoids and do needling and dermarolling. Retinoids thin the epidermis but thicken the dermis (after long term use).

The only problem is with Accutane taken orally. Accutane really thins the skin and it causes unpredictable healing. It is recommended not to have a laser treatment for at least one year after the Accutane treatment. You should also wait with other treatments like dermarolling, acid peels etc.