Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Laser liposuction burn scars  (Read 6871 times)

Anders

Laser liposuction burn scars
« on: November 02, 2011, 03:52:06 PM »
Dear Sarah!

A friend of mine went through laser assisted liposuction and developed burn wounds/necrosis. These wounds have left bad scarring on the stomach. Do you think dermarollers would help? What kind of roller do you suggest to order? Do you have any other suggestions how to treat this?

Thank you for your view on this.

Kind regards/Anders

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Laser liposuction burn scars
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 11:20:59 AM »
Necrosis is one of the risks with laser-assisted liposuction.

If the liposuction was performed very recently, the burns may still improve a little by themselves.

If your friend ended up with fat-necrosis (death of fat cells) below the skin, it is unfixable by dermarolling because dermarolling can only affect the skin itself and not the structures below it - such as fat. Are the burnt areas indented? I think the surgeon who performed the liposuction should inject the indentations with temporary or permanent (risk of uneven skin or nodules) filler. The best long lasting and relatively risk-free filler is injecting her own fat into the indented areas but I am not a plastic surgeon and I do not know whether it is suitable or possible in this case. Fillers will not improve the scars but they will improve the indentations.

If the indentation is not caused solely by fat necrosis but also by the skin scar being anchored to the underlying structures (which often happens in burn scars), needling or targeted dermarolling of the scar will help releasing it.

Skin scars that resulted from burns can be improved by dermarolling or needling. It will soften the scar, improve its color and perhaps slowly rebuild some of the skin tissue that is missing.

Depending how wide the scars are, your friend should buy a 1.5 mm ONE LINER roller (if the scars are very narrow lines) or a 1.5 mm NARROW roller (this roller has three lines of needles - for wider scars).

If the scars are not elongated (line-shaped) but more like a circular, oval, square etc shape: Buy a 1.5 mm dermastamp.