Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Breakouts at 30??  (Read 5529 times)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Breakouts at 30??
« on: November 10, 2011, 01:28:59 PM »
This posting used to be in now removed category "General".

Anna posted:      

>ok, so i used to have really bad acne all throughout highschool and early 20's then  miraculously by around 26-27 my skin cleared up and stayed clear till this past fall. whaaat  is the deal? i feel like im going >through puberty all over again. My diet has not changed  really i  know what foods break me out and i avoid them, so what can be wrong? also my  periods are very irregular for the first time in my life and last >month it completely skipped  me and im not even pregnant. Should i be worried? and is there a way to fix all this besides  going to the traditional doctor and get prescribed birth control pills for the period and  >antibiotics for the acne, i know thats what theyll do and that is why id rather just take care of  it on my own. please help i appreciate your insight on health issues. Thank you, Anna.

SarahVaughter replied:        

Acne is commonly caused/affected by male sex hormones.

Also females produce a small amount of male sex hormones.

The fact that you do not suddenly have regular periods and you even have missing periods indicates you probably have a hormonal problem. This is not normal at your age (you are not in menopause yet).You should definitely see a gynecologist and have a hormonal check-up. You may have
Polycystic ovary syndrome or some other hormonal disorder.

Polycystic ovary syndrome:

"The principal features are obesity, anovulation (resulting in irregular menstruation or amenorrhea), acne, and excessive amounts or effects of androgenic hormones."

Not everyone with
Polycystic ovary syndrome is obese or has all of the above stated symptoms.

Anna replied:        

this makes a lot of sense. im not theoretically considered obese im 5'7 and weigh 185 but i am overweight. after i had my 2nd child 2 years ago i have not been able to drop the pregnancy weight and the past few months is when the period irregularities started. i was never overweight before that so i never had problems with my period. I will still see a gyno about this to be safe because my sister had cysts in her ovaries which they treated her with birth control pills, however would you say that by dropping some weight it may resolve without the need of pills?

SarahVaughter replied:      

It is a known fact that many obese women with Polycystic ovary syndrome improve when they drop in weight.

The fact that you suddenly have irregular and missing periods and acne strongly indicates hormonal imbalance (sex hormones) but you have to consult a gynecologist to confirm this and find out what the exact cause is and what your options are to resolve/treat it.

Anna replied:        

yeah deffinitely so I can at least know if that's what's happening, thank you so much!