Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Dermarolling against 11's  (Read 9367 times)

April

Dermarolling against 11's
« on: November 26, 2011, 04:46:06 PM »
I received my 0.5 roller a couple of weeks ago and am about to start rolling on Monday (I also bought the Retin A, which hasn't arrived yet but hopefully will soon as well as the A/D ointment, CP, and Vit C).  I was grateful to read this thread on Safetox because it was something I was considering since I have some definite 11s between my brows.  Can I ask a few more questions about how to best tackle this?

(1) I'm gathering dermarolling will help build up collagen in this area?  Or in any area (like NL lines) with time, patience, and vitamins?

(2) Will using something like Frownies at night help at all or am I totally dreaming?

(3) Will facial exercises help in any way?  I have a couple different systems (Flex Effect and Carol Maggio's Facercise) but honestly, I never saw the results.  Maybe I wasn't consistent enough, I don't know.  I gave it a good attempt for six months and then just became discouraged.

Thank you for any help... I feel I look like I'm scowling all the time and my last ditch consideration is Botox...

~April

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 09:27:45 AM »
>(1) I'm gathering dermarolling will help build up collagen in this area? Or in any area (like

>NL lines) with time, patience, and vitamins?

I think the single needle is the best for the 11's:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Wrinkles-between-the-eyebrows

But if they are not deep, a 0.5 mm should also make a difference.

Regarding the nasolabial fold:

Unfortunately, the nasolabial fold is not a wrinkle but it is caused by the facial structures (fat and muscles) dropping down:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Dermarolling-a-deep-nasolabial-fold

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/dermarolling-facial-expression-linep/a>

>(2) Will using something like Frownies at night help at all or am I totally dreaming?

Frownies are said to temporarily improve "expression lines" by applying a tight adhesive patch onto the wrinkle to prevent the muscle from moving - for example to prevent the muscle between the eyebrows to get into the frowning position. It is advised to keep the tape overnight. Frownies have lots of factual nonsense on their website. We looked at their before-and-after photo's and they are too tiny to be able to judge whether the "improvement" is due to a paintbrush in Photoshop or a real improvement. It looks Photoshopped and if the improvement was real, they would have published much, much larger pictures.

In any case, any wide Micropore Surgical Tape or other tight plaster will do the same job.

It is true that when we sleep in a certain position, we wake up with a "crumpled" face and taping your face overnight can possibly partially prevent it but if you have a boyfriend he may leave you for a girl who does not terrify him by sleeping with tape over her face. :)

They give these instructions to apply the pad: "Moisten the back of the pad with Frownies Hydrator Spray and apply directly over the wrinkle."

Another likely effect:

If you apply an adhesive pad on your skin for many hours or overnight, it will make the wrinkles temporarily less visible in the morning because the skin will slightly swell up due to increased moisture that forms under the pad. You'll notice the same effect when you stay in water for a long time. When you get out and look in the mirror, the face looks smoother because it is basically slightly plumped up by water. This effect unfortunately lasts very shortly.

>(3) Will facial exercises help in any way? I have a couple different systems (Flex Effect and

>Carol Maggio's Facercise) but honestly, I never saw the results. Maybe I wasn't consistent

>enough, I don't know. I gave it a good attempt for six months and then just became

>discouraged.

This is really difficult to say. I have not heard many successful stories regarding facial exercise but I do not want to discourage anybody from trying. BTW during a face lift, the skin and the layer between the skin and the muscles is repositioned (pulled up) but not the muscles themselves (except the muscle on the neck).

>Thank you for any help... I feel I look like I'm scowling all the time and my last ditch

>consideration is Botox...

If you feel that the muscles between your eyes are in permanent spasm – for example from long-term or frequent headaches or long-term stress etc. and that the muscles are now permanently in a frowning position, Botox will relax the muscle. Dermarolling twice a week with a 0.5 mm dermaroller or every second or third day with a 0.2 mm dermaroller will also relax the muscles to certain extent as it is a form of massage. You can also try the above mentioned tape method. First stretch the muscle with your fingers into the non-frowning position, and then tape it.

Botox will relax the muscle but it will not fill in the existing wrinkle in the skin. This has to be addressed by needling or rolling.

April

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 09:39:59 PM »
Thank you, Sarah!!  I appreciate your insight.  I would prefer not to go the Botox route for two important reasons:   cost and that "frozen" feeling on my face.  Makes it hard to actually feel my emotions - I've only had it a few times but I remember being surprised that I couldn't have a good cry while watching a movie...

That said, if the scowling look doesn't improve enough with dermarolling, it sounds as if Botox and dermarolling are not incompatible... meaning I could temporarily freeze my muscles while also building up the collagen underneath.  Please let me know if I'm wrong here...

My plan of attack is to start with the .5 dermaroller, progress to a single needle to address the individual 11s, and then if all else fails, maybe get some Botox.  

p.s. my Retin-A arrived!  Thank you for all you do and are, Sarah.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 04:17:34 PM »
Thank you too :-)

Yes, dermarolling and single-needling certainly is compatible with Botox. Just don't single needle or roll with a dermaroller with longer needles than 0.2 mm directly over the Botox areas for six weeks after Botox has been administered.