Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Stretch mark treatment  (Read 6193 times)

Daisy

Stretch mark treatment
« on: December 20, 2011, 05:55:42 AM »
Hi, Sarah. I wanted to know if vit A oil ( vit A + Soy Oil) is considered to have the same benefits as ret A?

Is it good that stretch marks after treatment (dermarolling or needling+ Vit C or Vit A oil) actually stay purplishy red (up until 3 weeks) ? (Before they were small white lines). Does that mean that blood circulation has been rebuilt? (been rolling for 4.5 months).

Can there appear new stretch marks from losing weight or are those just the old ones getting more noticeable?

Some skin peeling has started to happen, good/bad? What are the contents to be looking for in a drugstore kind of a stretch mark/prevention cream? Are all natural anti-stretch mark creams any good?

Thank you Sarah, I actually am pleased with the results that I've been getting from dermarolling/needling. I do feel that my skin has become more thicker and somehow toner(?). As my stretch marks have occured mostly from growth (butt area) they are like a few white lines (not that noticeable) but still I would like some treatment to be applied. So can I use the 1.5 mm roller+ needles directly on them + oils/ creams and hope for better results? What would be the best way to treat them?

Thanks, Daisy

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Stretch mark treatment
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 04:17:32 PM »
>I wanted to know if vit A oil ( vit A + Soy Oil) is considered to have the same benefits as retA?

The best is vit. A in the form of Tretinoin (Retinoic acid).

Other forms of vit. A are converted to Retinoic acid in the skin so any form of vit. A is useful, however in order to achieve high concentrations, using Retinoic acid is the most appropriate regarding stretch marks.

You should apply your vit. A oil over the A-Ret. It will add extra vit, A and the oil will moisturize the skin.

>Is it good that stretch marks after treatment (dermarolling or needling+ Vit C or Vit A oil) actually stay purplishy red (up until 3 weeks) ? (Before they were small white lines).

Very good!

>Does that mean that blood circulation has been rebuilt? (been rolling for 4.5 months).

It means that the stretch marks are being "worked on" and this process will hopefully remodel the stretch marks and make them look better.

>Can there appear new stretch marks from losing weight or are those just the old ones getting more noticeable?

In spite of the fact that stretch marks are supposed to be a result of skin stretching, many people experienced getting stretch marks during rapid weight loss. Either the stretch marks formed during the weight gain and the lost volume during the weight loss made them look more deep and wrinkly or they somehow formed during the weight loss. Surprisingly, detailed mechanism and cause of stretch marks formation is not fully known. There seems to be both hormonal and skin stretching aspect.

>Some skin peeling has started to happen, good/bad?

Also very good!

>What are the contents to be looking for in a drugstore kind of a stretch mark/prevention cream?

So far there is no cream that can truly and reliably prevent stretch marks. There were studies with more or less positive, although inconsistent results with creams containing either 1, 2 or 3:

1 - Hyaluronic acid vitamin A, vitamin E, dexpanthenol and allantoin.

2 - vitamin E, panthenol, hyaluronic acid, elastin and menthol

3 - Centella asiatica extract, vitamin E, and collagen-elastin hydrolysates

>I actually am pleased with the results that I've been getting from dermarolling/needling. I do feel that my skin has become more thicker and somehow toner

I am pleased to hear this.

>So can I use the 1.5 mm roller+ needles directly on them + oils/ creams and hope for better results? What would be the best way to treat them?

Recommended approach for stretch marks:

Roll the whole area (stretch marks and surrounding skin) once every five weeks with the 1.5 mm dermaroller and then in addition, treat every stretch mark individually once every five weeks with the single needle. If you have a lot of stretch marks and don't have the time to treat them all at once you can spread out the treatments with the single needle over the five weeks but make sure to needle each individual stretch mark only once during this time.

When you have finished this individual needling of all stretch marks in the area (try to finish it in four weeks), give your skin a week off and then start the whole process over again - rolling the entire area with a regular dermaroller and using the single needle.

After two months, give your skin a one-month break. Then restart the whole process and after two months give your skin a one-month break and restart again, etc.

There are studies showing that A-Ret (Tretinoin) slightly helps diminishing fresh (red) stretch marks and it has some limited effect on mature (white) stretch marks as well.

Right after needling the stretch marks, apply A-Ret gel. I do not recommend using A-Ret right after dermarolling because it is acidic and it stings when applied to the rolled skin but in some special cases such as stubborn scars and stretch marks, I do recommend it. (Do not use A-Ret if pregnant, breastfeeding or planning pregnancy).