Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Help! Dermaroller infection????  (Read 32046 times)

Lino Bianchi

Help! Dermaroller infection????
« on: January 05, 2012, 06:49:41 AM »
Good morning Sarah,

I need your advise, please!

The day before yesterday I rolled, used a 2mm because I have a couple of scars on my forehead, this was the second time I had used that roller, which I had disinfected the time before.

After the normal redness of the day after, last night I started to get lumps on my forehead, like raised spots, the redness is still there. I have no pain or discomfort. It's not even 48 hours since I rolled. Do you think it's an infection or hopefully a reaction?

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Lino

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 10:29:02 AM »
This kind of skin reaction sometimes happens after dermarolling. It is rare.

Two of our customers experienced the same. (Perhaps more, but I know of two other cases - on approx. 10 000 customers.)

It is not an infection. Your skin just reacts like this. It mainly happens when you start with dermarolling because the skin is not used to it. I'm sorry it happened to you. The bumps will disappear. What kind of cream did you apply after dermarolling?

Firefox7275

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 10:58:11 AM »
Great advice from Sarah. I have sensitive skin and occasionally experience a mild bumpy rash after microneedling, light AHA peels or over-exfoliating: my understanding is this is because we have damaged our skin's barrier - in a controlled manner - which can allow other cosmetics to irritate or very weak opportunistic bacteria in. It has never progressed to anything serious, clears up in a couple of days and my family doctor is not concerned. Products that affect my skin even in very dilute form (just bubbles!) contain sulphate surfactants which are known to be powerful irritants: these are in most face washes shampoos, shower gels, hand washes and even toothpastes so you may consider avoiding using such products.

Lino Bianchi

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 11:56:05 AM »
Thank you Sarah, you're really nice, I'm relieved ... I like dermarolling and I'd be disappointed if it turned out not to be good for me.

To tell you the truth this time I rolled with more energy ...

When I made my order with you I didn't actually order infadolan. At that time I hadn't read yet how good it is in your posts, so I went on using a Vit A cream I've used for a long time which I buy here in Italy.

Last night I also applied the Vit. C solution.

May I go on applying both things?

just for information, what does a skin infection caused by dermarolling look like or what symptoms does it cause?

Thank you again

Lino

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 11:44:31 AM »
Thank you for your input, Firefox.

Lino, you do not necessarily have to use Infadolan, the reason I asked was because a cream applied after dermarolling, which greatly enhances its absorption, could also cause skin reactions.

Your skin reaction could have even been caused by the application of vit. C, if the skin was still a bit "raw" from dermarolling.

I have found an email from a customer who had a very similar reaction. There is nothing personal in this email so I hope the customers doesn't mind I publish it:

"Hi Sarah I just used dermaroller again for the 2nd time and followed the same procedure as the 1st time per your instructions on your website I did nothing different from the first time I rolled . The 1st time I had no issues whatsoever the whole thing went smooth, this morning after rolling last night I woke up with a rash of sorts on certain areas on my face it looks like very small bumps the size of pores and I'm wondering what's happening because this didn't occur the last time?"

This was my reply:

"Fortunately, it doesn't sound like an infection. It might be a Retinoid (vit. A) rash even though it is more likely to appear after the application of the acidic form of vit. A such as Retinoic acid than with the non-acidic form that is in Infadolan. It doesn't sound like an allergic reaction since it didn't happened the first time at all.

I have received a couple of emails similar complaints as yours but the red bumps simply appeared (on the chin and a part of the forehead) after rolling with a 1.5 mm roller, without any use of Infadolan or other retinoids and they quickly subsided.  Do not use any vit. A cream for the time being and let me know how it goes."

Concerning your question about the signs of infection:

An infection starts two or more days after the injury. The skin becomes red, painful, swollen and warm. Sometimes a fluid runs from it and pus develops. It can be accompanied by fever, itching and the enlargement of the lymphatic glands.

An infection should not be confused with inflammation, which is a short lasting reaction that appears immediately after dermarolling and usually lasts an hour or two.

More on inflammation:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/How-long-does-the-inflammation-stage-lasts-after-rolling-with-long-needles

Inflammation is an immune system reaction to an injury. It is an initial stage of healing process.

Infection is bacterial or other contamination of the wound.

Also, do not confuse an infection with lasting redness from dermarolling or needling. Redness can last really long in some individuals, especially after needling.

Lino Bianchi

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 06:33:30 PM »
Sarah!

You're just great! I really mean it! Thank you!

As you said, it was not an infection. The bumps have almost gone completely, and so is the redness. I must say that I have a nice healthy colour on my face now, people ask me if I took a sun bed  ;-)

Thank you for publishing the email of that customer. It perfectly reflects my experience: for me too, it was fine the first time, and then I had the rash and bumps the second.

I was wondering, just to minimize the chances of infection, would it be a good idea to disinfect the roller also on the same day you roll, after it has been in the box for over a month since the last time?

Thank you again

Good night,

Lino

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 06:39:32 AM »
If the roller has first been thoroughly cleaned and then properly sterilized, then there will be no skin detrius present to form a basis for bacteria to grow on, especially not because the roller head will become totally dry in less than a day, when stored at room temperature.

Of course, if you want to be absolutely certain that there is not even the slightest chance of infection, then you can re-sterilize the roller prior to rolling. Just make sure you rinse off the Chloramine-T (we recommend using Chloramine-T instead of alcohol for sterilization because Chloramine-T sterilizes better and never affects the roller, whereas some brands of alcohol mixtures can sometimes damage the roller.)

You can for that purpose use a 1% solution, and because the roller is already clean and pre-sterilized, just a few minutes will do, instead of the usual half hour for that percentage. But it really shouldn't be necessary.

Lino Bianchi

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 09:41:25 AM »
Thank you again

very clear as usual!!

have a nice day

Lino