Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Scar Types  (Read 6046 times)

cvw

Scar Types
« on: May 22, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
I have boxcars with sharp edges and lots of icepick scars. No matter how much I stamp or needle my scars, they never level with the surrounding skin from swelling and I believe it is because of their walls. The whole area gets red but I can still clearly see the outline and the scar. How do I go about breaking down those walls? I've noticed people on other forums that have posted pictures of boxcars that filled in after stamping BUT they seemed smooth around the edges while mine seem very sharp and jagged but surprisingly not deeper than theirs. Also, will suctioning even be effective for these types of scars then? Or is that just for rolling scars because they are tethered? Are boxcars and icepicks tethered as well? I've heard 2 different theories: that they are lined with scar tissue that needs to be broken down continually (stamp every 2 weeks aggressively) and that it is simply missing tissue/collagen so only stamp every 6-8 weeks. However, I have taken long breaks (6 weeks) between needlings and see no magical filling in. I'm thinking the more aggressive route will break down these walls? Sorry so long! Just very stuck in between 2 completely different theories.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Scar Types
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »
Unfortunately, three is no single successful approach that always works for everyone so trying different approaches and improvising a little is often necessary. When you needle/stamp, you should also do the edges of the scar.

Boxcar- and especially icepick scars are supposedly not tethered, however I would not rely on it and try the suction method at least on the boxcars. I think that both theories are correct. The scars are lined with scar tissue and at the same time there is normal healthy tissue missing.