Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Just bought your dermaroller  (Read 19094 times)

lizziem

Just bought your dermaroller
« on: January 04, 2010, 04:16:35 AM »
I have very shallow scars, and would like to improve the texture of my skin, so i bought the 1mm dermaroller. I hope that is fine. 1.5mm scares me somewhat =))

Lizzie,

:o

lizziem

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 04:25:33 AM »
Btw, I am using it on the face.

I am also currently on nothing but facial wash and aloe vera during the night. Can I continue using aloe vera while dermarolling, and can I use it right after dermarolling?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 04:28:16 PM »
A 1.0 mm dermaroller reaches the lower skin layer (Dermis) where it will trigger new collagen production, so 1.0 mm is long enough. :)

About the Aloe Vera:   When you needle the skin, the body will immediately start the healing process. This healing has several stages: Hemostasis, inflammation, proliferation and remodeling.

The reason why needling improves the skin is because needling causes a short lasting, controlled inflammation and new skin cells are produced as a result. In case of dermarolling, a mild inflammation is a desirable event and you should not put apply strong anti-inflammatory products right after rolling with long needles. A day or some hours after is already OK.

Aloe Vera is an anti-inflammatory, so no, you should not use it right after dermarolling

The inflammation doesn't last long, after dermarolling:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/showthread.p...h-long-needles

lizziem

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 12:26:15 PM »
Thank you so much for the information :D

When my order arrives, I will let you know of how it goes. I will also keep note of not using aloe vera on the time of healing.

I'm thinking of using this site to record my progress. :cool:

lizziem

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 09:47:36 AM »
Hi,

Just another update. I've been taking it really slow and so far I have absolutely nothing to complain about! I did my first session around January 10th all over the face, and the skin healed itself really nicely, although the scars still can be seen.

I just did my second session, and my goal is to take everything as slow as possible to prevent me messing up my skin. Infadolan has been really effective for me.

Firefox7275

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 09:45:08 AM »
SarahVaughter;26 wrote: A 1.0 mm dermaroller reaches the lower skin layer (Dermis) where it will trigger new collagen production, so 1.0 mm is long enough. :)

About the Aloe Vera:   When you needle the skin, the body will immediately start the healing process. This healing has several stages: Hemostasis, inflammation, proliferation and remodeling.

The reason why needling improves the skin is because needling causes a controlled inflammation and new skin cells are produced as a result. In case of dermarolling, a mild inflammation is a desirable event and you should not put any anti-inflammatory products right after rolling and a couple of days after.

Aloe Vera is an anti-inflammatory, so no, you should not use it during those days..

I am a new and very satisfied customer and have recommended your rollers on other forums. I have sensitive skin and occasionally experience a 'rash' after rolling or other treatments which affect the integrity of my skin's barrier function, this is distinct from the expected redness and swelling. I do not use your recommended ointment because it contains petroleum products but have recently been using a concoction of my own containing a seed oil, antioxidant vitamins and aloe vera. This seems to prevent irritation without eliminating inflammation IYSWIM.

I would be interested in more information on the use of aloe vera with microneedling. As I understand it, research on wound healing suggests AV accelerates the healing process and can boost collagen production whether applied topically, taken orally, used prior to or immediately after injury. Is the reason you do not recommend AV related to a difference between the way microneedling wounds heal compared with a surgically induced injury? My work background is healthcare so hopefully will be able to get my head around any studies or technical explanation.

Thank you for your time!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 12:41:55 PM »
>I am a new and very satisfied customer and have recommended your rollers on other forums

Thank you, I appreciate it! (especially because we do not advertise or use affiliates, so that we can keep our prices down)

The only reason I did not recommend applying Aloe vera right after dermarolling with long needles is because, depending on the percentage, Aloe vera is quite a strong anti-inflammatory.

Suppressing inflammation is very useful with chronic inflammatory conditions or "ordinary" injuries. However it is not very helpful to suppress the short lasting, mild, controlled inflammation that occurs for an hour or two right after dermarolling because the inflammation triggers collagen production and other processes. In case of dermarolling this short lasting, mild inflammation is desirable. In other cases, it is fine to use Aloe vera.

Avoiding strong- anti-inflammatory only applies right after dermarolling and I have to remove the part of my sentence  "and a couple of days after". It was a mistake, I'm sorry.

An abstract on the anti-inflammatory properties of Aloe vera:

Anti-inflammatory and wound healing activity of a growth substance in Aloe vera

Davis RH, Donato JJ, Hartman GM, Haas RC.

Department of Biomedical Sciences, Pennsylvania College of Podiatric Medicine, Philadelphia.

Abstract

Aloe vera improves wound healing and inhibits inflammation. Since mannose-6-phosphate is the major sugar in the Aloe gel, the authors examined the possibility of its being an active growth substance. Mice receiving 300 mg/kg of mannose-6-phosphate had improved wound healing over saline controls. This dose also had anti-inflammatory activity. The function of mannose-6-phosphate in A. vera is discussed.

Processed Aloe vera administered topically inhibits inflammation.

Davis RH, Rosenthal KY, Cesario LR, Rouw GA

Abstract

Aloe vera preparations were evaluated for topical anti-inflammatory activity using the croton oil-induced edema assay. The results show that small amounts of A. vera given topically will inhibit inflammation induced by a moderate amount of irritant. In general, the decolorized Aloe was more effective than the colorized Aloe (with anthraquinone). A 47.1% inhibition of inflammation was obtained by 5% decolorized irradiated Aloe. These results may be used as a baseline to assess the biologic activity of A. vera in the treatment of inflammation by podiatric physicians.

Firefox7275

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 08:30:48 AM »
Thank you that is very helpful and I appreciate how quickly you replied given time of year! I would like to discuss this on a forum or two, with your permission your input will be copied pasted and attributed to you? You are hopefully aware that your knowledge and opinions are well regarded.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 08:34:46 AM »
Sure, go ahead :-)