Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Professional Dermaroller Treatment Caused Scarring - HELP NEEDED!  (Read 12344 times)

Gosh

• Forum member
Hi,

I went to have a professional  Dermaroller treatment 3 days ago at a local clinic  because I had mild acne scarring and pigmentation issues. It seems that the doctor did the procedure incorrectly and now I am left with some visible trail scars on my face. Scars are visible on my upper lip area as well as on my forehead. I would like to know if these scars will disappear and what can I do now to fix this? Is this going to be permanent? I believe needles used were 1.5 (Genuine Dermaroller) I am definitely not going to this clinic again. I am going to demand my money back and some compensation. This is very sickening to me.

Thanks!

Michelle
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 09:23:59 AM by SarahVaughter »

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: Professional Dermaroller Treatment Caused Scarring - HELP NEEDED!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 09:46:21 AM »
Thank you for posting this picture! I removed the other one, because it was so blurry that nothing was visible.

The vertical scratches could indeed be caused by the needles, because the distance between them is approx. the distance between the needles in a dermaroller head. They seem to be indented and I hope they will at least diminish in the future. This may take a few years though.

As to how this could have happened: My guess is that the needle tips were bent. I have seen that before. Bent needle tips can happen with even the most expensive dermarollers, as can be seen in this picture of a Dr. Roller straight from its packaging:

Especially if a few rows had a bent needle, I would expect a kind of scar to form as in your picture. But please note that this is all conjecture. It is just my best guess, based on the fact that the scars are evenly interspaced vertical lines with a mutual distance comparable to the distance of needles in a dermaroller.

You mentioned that the "Original Dermaroller" was used in the treatment you received. We regularly test dermarollers and part of the test is to examine the needles. Since we are such a major vendor (tens of thousands of custumers over 6 years) we have a very good idea of the quality of the needles in the rollers we sell. We keep testing and monitoring their quality. The only thing that really matters in a roller is the quality of the needle tip. Most of all, the needle should be straight. After that, it should be sharp. It is no big deal when the roller has a dozen flaws - as long as the needles are bona-fide. A roller that nearly falls apart and squeaks and looks awful will give excellent results as long as its needles are straight and sharp, and is used according to our guidelines. We are paranoid as to needle quality, that is why we made people aware of the (extremely small) risk by showing a bent needle of a Dr. Roller in our dermaroller review. It shows that not even the most expensive rollers are always perfect. That is why we are phasing out all rollers except our own brand, since we can totally control its quality. However, this is the only Dr. Roller we ever saw with a bent needle. And we sold thousands.

This brings us to: "How to prevent this":

Do your own dermaneedling. Treat yourself at home. Then you can inspect your instruments, not being at the mercy of the practitioner. And you can choose which instruments you use. Also, you can educate yourself on the best rolling technique to use and everything else associated with dermaneedling. Our site is called "OwnDoc" because we believe that when a person takes things into her own hands, the result is often better and obtained cheaper. "Be your own doctor" - after thoroughly educating yourself using online resources such as ours.

We can not test the "Original Dermaroller" because they do not sell to private individuals, as least not the longer-needled rollers, last time we checked. I assume they are made in SE-Asia, like all other rollers. The practitioners who use this roller will of course not talk about negative experiences online. Therefore, subjecting yourself to treatment with this roller boils down to putting your faith in the company that makes them, and in your practitioner to check the needles before using them.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 09:56:16 AM by SarahVaughter »

Gosh

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 11:36:37 AM »
Hi Sarah,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have already decided that I won't get any professional dermaroller treatments.

Could you please advise if it would be beneficial to use a dermaroller at home trying to get rid of these marks? What would you recommend tying to get rid of these scars? [deleted part]

From a legal perspective, if I've been scarred in this way can I take action? Obviously I put a certain level of trust in these people to help me, not make my skin worse.

Thanks!
Michelle
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:06:18 PM by SarahVaughter »

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 05:06:07 PM »
There is a good chance the marks will go away but it will take some time. Wait at least two months and then email me if you need treatment advice.

As to legal matters: I have no idea really. It would depend on whether you signed a disclaimer, on your jurisdiction and whether you could prove liability and many more factors. You should consult an attorney..

Gosh

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 05:00:21 PM »
Hi Sarah,

Thank you very much for your help. I will monitor the situation and will email you for treatment advice here in a few months.

africanamericanscars

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 06:02:08 PM »
are the scars still there? Same thing happened to me!

Gosh

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 09:05:45 AM »
Sorry to hear that this happened to you as well. I can still see the scars but it seems that they are fading  :) I am going to contact Sarah for some treatment advise soon.