Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Tensile Strength of Scars  (Read 6453 times)

Arctic7

• Forum member
Tensile Strength of Scars
« on: May 03, 2013, 09:02:37 PM »
Hi All

Am new to forum, great information!!!

I have a question about needling scars if someone could help me please?

I unfortunately have very weak scars. I have previously had breast reduction done which involved cutting all the way around my areola. Due to my weak scars the areola spreads and becomes too big. I am having my 4th revision done later this year. I have had a permanent suture with not much success. My plastic surgeon has advised me to keep the scars taped until they turn white. Despite taping they are still getting bigger. My question is can needling the scar make the scar stronger? I don't care if I have a scar any more I just want the areola to stop spreading.  It seems that if there is more collagen produced due to needling it is possible but it depends on how it is laid down in the tissue. I have searched Google for an answer and unfortunately do not have access to a good medical library. I doubt the information is known but if anyone has any information or experience I would greatly appreciate this.

Thanks in advance.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: Tensile Strength of Scars
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 06:06:14 PM »
To be honest, I really do not know whether microneedling would help in this case - I actually doubt it. But there is no other way of finding out but giving it a try.

Buy a 1 mm dermastamp and stamp just a small part of the scar (as a test) every ten days to see how it reacts. You have to be patient because it will take many months to see results (if at all).

Microneedling does not remove scars but it reduces/smoothes them. Whether this would make the tissue stronger than the current tissue is really difficult to say.

After a revision, do not stamp sooner than 6-8 weeks later.

You may need a numbing cream because this area is very sensitive.

dc-girl

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 05:23:49 PM »
Hi Artic7,

I have the same issue, so please keep us posted if this brings noticable improvement!
Thanks

Arctic7

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 07:36:48 AM »
Thank You Sarah!!!

I know I am clutching at straws but willing to try anything. Even if I got 10% increase in strength of scar that would help ....I hope. Of all the research I can find on Google needling seems to make a bit of sense as it induces more collagen and changes the way it is laid down in the skin more like the basket weave of normal skin. I know needling may not work but it is a new procedure and no-one may have researched this.

DC-Girl yes it is a common problem unfortunately and one that does not seem to be predictable and we are left to deal with it.

I am going to ask Dr about new Hammond Gore-Tex suture technique(if he will do it he is conservative) and will needle as well in case this suture needs to come out like last time.  If I only need 1mm stamp I think this will be OK as suture would be deeper I am sure.

Will keep you posted DC- Girl and thank you again Sarah for such an awesome site. I have ordered rollers and creams for my face and chest- cant wait to start!