Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Penetration of needles  (Read 5305 times)

Um Enis

• Forum member
Penetration of needles
« on: July 04, 2013, 05:10:04 PM »
I have looked quite a bit concerning this topic on the forum and through the website and have not found an answer, if I have missed it accept my apologies.

I am rolling for different reasons.  I am rolling on my face for preventative measures as well as the beginnings of laxity, a bit more than may be expected for my age (40).  I have chosen a .5mm for several reasons.   I am also rolling on my abdominal area for "mummy tummy" issues--some crepe-paper skin, definite laxity and elasticity issues.  I chose a 1.5mm for this site.

I used the Dr. Numb cream purchased on this site on my face, as directed.  I did not use any on my abdomen.  I watched the videos and read the instructions thoroughly and followed the procedure as directed.  I used moderate pressure (I pressed down on the roller enough to feel a sensation of pressing down, but I did not put any extra body weight on it).  I stretched the skin taut. 

I rolled my abdomen first while waiting for the Dr. Numb to take effect.  And this is where my concern lies:

I did not feel any sensation of penetration, nor sign (ie pin point bleeding).  It was uncomfortable, but not to the extent of getting a tattoo or getting one removed.   I did not feel a sensation of penetration on my face either, but I did start peeling a bit since my roll and have considered that a sign that penetration occurred.

As far as my pre-rolling routine.  I dry brush daily and have done so for longer than I can remember.  I also use a 10% lactic acid exfoliant 2 times weekly.  I use vitamin C daily and a hot pepper cream after that.  I do not have dry skin. 

I was given the suggestion on another forum to tense the muscles while rolling to give the roller some more resistance. 

I have a few questions:
1.  How do I know if the needles actually penetrated the skin?
2.  How soon should I roll again, given that the needles may not have penetrated.
3.  Should I use a stronger peel than the 10% lactic acid as a prep?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: Penetration of needles
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 04:49:31 PM »
1- Try your 1.5 mm dermaroller on the inner side of you forearm with medium pressure. After rolling, you should see pinpoint red spots similar to those you can see in these photos (click on the photos to enlarge) here:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/how-long-will-the-redness-last/

No, you should not use stronger acid peel.

I think that a numbing cream is not necessary for a 0.5 mm size but it depends on you.