Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Micro needling and lips Yes or no?  (Read 14017 times)

Rayzala

• Forum member
Micro needling and lips Yes or no?
« on: August 10, 2013, 10:29:17 AM »
Lately I've been trying to do some research on how I can fix my lips. I get cold sores occasionally which damages my skin, also I had very bad acne - so I was put on accutane. If you don't know what accutane is it simply works by drying out your skin - therefore you cannot produce excess sebum which leads pimples. The problem is that your lips are basically dry for the entie treatment, you can put lip balms and petrollium jelly on them but it never really solved the problem.

Now I'm off accutane, and havn't had a cold sore in a while but my lips are in such bad shape. I've been using honey, and sugar scrubs etc, and I've gotten the moisture back in my lips, they are no longer dry but they are very wrinkled. To be honest they look better when they are dry. 

Am I going to have to live with this? Or can derma rolling help? I've heard of fillers you can get injected, but not only is that temporary it is extremely expensive. I'm only 20 and I don't want to be paying for the rest of my life.

The reason I made this thread is because I stumbled upon what appears to be two different answers from the same person.

First I found a thread named : Derma-rolling Lips for Fuller Plumper Lips

the OP asked if she could use the derma roller on her upper lip to increase the size to match the lower lip

Sarah said: 
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 06:27:15 PM »
I am delighted that dermarolling works for you!

I agree with Soon. If you upper lip is less plump than your lower lip (most people have it this way) dermarolling cannot make the upper lip the same size as the lower one.

Dermarolling can perhaps improve lip creases and "refresh" the lips but it cannot really increase their size.

Dermarolling the lips can sometimes trigger cold sores in people that are very prone to them.

The skin on the lips is thin so take it in consideration when you choose the needle length.

Do not forget to disinfect the lips. The mouth is full of bacteria.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This seemed like great news to me, I definitely don't want to increase the size of my lips as I am half African-American and already have very large lips. Sarah said that it can 'improve lip creases, and refresh' the lips, which is exactly what I want.

I was right about to order a roller, but then I saw another thread on this forum

It was named: Single needling upper lip wrinkles
The thread starter claimed she had used the derma roller (unknown length) on her lip, she had red marks on them and Sarah responded

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 01:10:21 PM »
You should not needle your lips. It never crossed my mind that anyone would try that.. I will make sure our instructions include the warning that one should not needle the lips.

The skin on the lips is extremely thin and you certainly should not stick a 2 mm needle into them..
The skin on the lips can more be compared to a mucous membrane - not suitable for needling.

These answers make this very confusing. I really don't want to damage my lips even more and I know if it's worth taking the risk.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: Micro needling and lips Yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 05:42:04 PM »
You can use dermaroller or a dermastamp on the lips but not our single needle because the single needle is 1.8 mm long and that is too deep for the lips. The skin on the lips is thin.

1 mm length needle length is a maximum size for the lips. Preferably, start with an even shorter size. We sell size 0.5 mm and 0.75 mm dermarollers.

Do not roll on the lips if you frequently suffer from cold sores.

For the wrinkles above and below the lips (the so-called smoker's lines), use a 1.5 mm dermastamp.