Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Would dermarolling be suitable for me?  (Read 6694 times)

ellascarlett

• Forum member
Would dermarolling be suitable for me?
« on: August 21, 2013, 02:26:40 PM »
Hi there,

I had a mole on my chin removed about 3 months ago, and although the skin took a while it has healed fairly well, i.e. the scar is at the same level as the rest of the skin, it is not hypertrophic nor atrophic. However it is still quite red, and the skin seems slightly thicker and tougher than the surrounding area. The scar is circular and clearly demarcated. I was wondering if dermarolling would help to fade the scar; decrease the redness and make the skin texture blend in with the surrounding area? I think the redness itself will probably fade with time; it already has done a little, I've been using silicone gel, and when I apply pressure the area goes white, before the blood rushes back, so I assume it is still within a healing stage. However even then the area is visible as scar tissue, and slightly more thick and yellow than the surrounding skin.

Would dermarolling help to return the scar tissue to a more normal texture, and/or decrease redness? If so, what would you recommend exactly?

Thank you so much :)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: Would dermarolling be suitable for me?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 07:48:35 AM »
Microneedling will very likely soften the scar and help blending it with the surrounding skin. Buy a 1 mm dermastamp (not a dermaroller) and stamp the scar every 10 -14 days. Stamping will make the scar temporarily more red but it will subside.You do not have to pre-treat the skin in your case.

ellascarlett

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
Thank you for the quick reply! :)

May I ask why the stamp would be preferable to a roller, is that just because it is an isolated area i am treating?

Should I purchase the 0.5 mm or 1 mm? I don't think my scarring is particularly deep; just running your fingers over the area it does not feel different to the rest of the skin, but looking in a mirror you can see the boundaries of the scar and the skin texture is shinier. I won't have the opportunity for much more downtime than a day or so as I work full time, and I am concerned that if I needed more than that then makeup application would disrupt the healing. Would using the smaller 0.5 mm still have a noticeable effect? Obviously if not I will opt for the 1 mm, but how much more downtime would that require?

And should I use any of your other products, for example the Infadolan? Would this speed the healing or make it more efficient?

I have heard that scarring takes an average of 7 months for redness to subside. Is this correct in your opinion and would the microneedling speed up this process or would it continue as normal?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I am following the most efficient routine possible and understand the process. Thanks again.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 05:08:49 PM »
May I ask why the stamp would be preferable to a roller, is that just because it is an isolated area i am treating?

Yes. For targeted, intensive treatment of a scar, a dermastamp is much better.

Should I purchase the 0.5 mm or 1 mm?

If the scar seems shallow, buy a 0.5 mm. A 0.5 mm length reaches the top of the dermis so it should reach shallow scars.

Obviously if not I will opt for the 1 mm, but how much more downtime would that require?

This is individual. If you do not work at the weekend, stamp the scar on Friday afternoon and you will see how long it will stay red. With a 0.5 mm, the redness is likely to be more or less gone in the morning.

And should I use any of your other products, for example the Infadolan? Would this speed the healing or make it more efficient?

Infadolan promotes re-epithelialization, keeps the stamped area semi–occluded to prevent water evaporation and supplies vit. A and D but you can keep it moisturized with something else.

I have heard that scarring takes an average of 7 months for redness to subside. Is this correct in your opinion and would the microneedling speed up this process or would it continue as normal?

Maturation of a scar takes many months and the redness can in some cases persist much longer (in burns, stretch marks, deep injuries etc.) but your type of scar will almost certainly significantly fade within eight months. You may be left with a white scar after that. If depends how deep the mole was.

Microneedling will speed up the process because it speeds up the turnover of the skin and it will soften the hardened scar tissue.

ellascarlett

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 11:57:38 AM »
Thank you so much for your help you're an angel! I'll let you know how it goes :)