Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Dermarolling fresh surgery scars?  (Read 17626 times)

angel

Dermarolling fresh surgery scars?
« on: April 13, 2010, 01:03:56 PM »
Hi!

How soon can I use my 1.5mm dermaroller on a fresh scar? Its a breast augmentation surgery scar under the breast about 4-5 cm long. As soon as its healed? When does it become fully healed: when the scar becomes white or can I use it already while its pink?

Thanks! :)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 10:22:42 AM »
When stitches have been removed, follow the instructions of your surgeon for the "scar management". It usually involves pressure massage. Every day you'll apply pressure with your fingers onto the scar for approx. 20 seconds, spot by spot. A scar typically has reduced blood circulation and applying pressure will expel deoxygenated blood, allowing fresh oxygenated blood to flow in. This pressure will thus mechanically prevent the formation of a hypertrophic/raised scar.

Sometimes the special elastic bra that is worn after surgery is designed such that it applies pressure onto the scar.

The scar will improve significantly during the months after surgery. The dermis will heal in about six to eight weeks and then it can take up to two years for the scar to fully mature.

The most targeted way to treat surgical scars is single needling.You should wait eight weeks after the surgery. Start gently!

Your surgeon may use a vascular laser to help reduce the redness of the scar.

The redness of the scar is caused by inflammation and dilated blood vessels.

If you want to speed up the reduction of the redness, you can try applying anti-inflammatory creams.

You have to ask a pharmacy for nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory cream or gel.Those are normally used for arthritis. Anti-inflammatories are for example Diclofenac, Ibuprofen, Aspirin (notParacetamol). Or buy NUROFEN rapid capsules or NAPROXEN capsules and pierce them. They both contain a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory subtance.

You can also try diluted Tee Tree Oil but just like other essential etheric oils, it can irritate the skin in some individuals, especially if not diluted. It is an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.

Redness makes the scar very visible but on the other hand, if there is still a lot of blood in the scar, it means the scar is still "active" and there is more likelihood that needling will slightly shrink its size. (Needling will actually make the scar temporarily more red but this will subside).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:44:30 PM by SarahVaughter »

emily100

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 03:17:31 AM »
So does 8 weeks apply to most every surgery in general, Sarah?   If I am using silicone sheeting on my tummy tuck scar, would I just needle it once per month and then just put the silicone sheeting back on? And while I am at it, has anyone you known ever needled the lipo indentations from where the canula was inserted?  Thank you for your time!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 04:39:49 PM »
It depends. If the scar is still raised after 8 weeks, you should perform pressure massage or whatever scar management you were advised by your surgeon.

You can needle the scar after 8 weeks, provided that is not infected. Do a small patch first to get an idea how it will heal.  Put the silicon sheeting back on.  Needling cannot make the scar disappear. The cut is throughout all skin layers but it can soften the scar and change its appearance to be more naturally skin-tone.

Yes, we have a customer who needled lipo scars but they were not indented, they were just white scars. She achieved the breakup of the scar - tiny parts of the scar became normal skin color, which is great because it camouflages the scar.

emily100

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 05:08:45 PM »
Cool! Thanks!

emily100

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 02:28:09 PM »
In your instructions for single-needling, you mention putting Vitamin C on a few days prior to needling.  Is it ok to put Vitamin C on top of the tummy tuck scar like that? I am 11 weeks post-op. I have not begun needling yet and am considering waiting at least another month, even though my scars are pretty flat right now. I am just scared to mess something up.....thanks, Sarah!

Oh, and one more question -- after single-needling a tummy tuck scar, is it ok to put my massage cremes (Shea Butter, Scar Esthetique creme, BioOil) on the scar??  Thanks again!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 04:15:45 AM »
You can apply vit. C on the scar. It is an antioxidant and it is needed for collagen production. It is very useful.  When you decide to needle the scar, just do a small test patch. A small part of the scar. You will see how it heals.

You can apply your creams after single needling but the creams should not be contaminated. If you have been putting your hands for months into a cream that has no preservatives, it might have a fungus or bacteria. It usually only concerns DIY creams as people want to have it preservative-free.  It is not going to harm you though because the immune system will take care of it. It is just not a good idea.

You should definitely apply a cream with vit. A after needling.

emily100

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
sorry for this basic question....

And what creme is good to buy that has Vitamin A?  I know Retin-A has it, but I can't get that without an Rx, I think.....

Would the Infadolan work well? Or should I see about getting a derm to write me an Rx for Retin-A? Sorry to bother you with these rinky dink questions! :(

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 02:35:24 AM »
We think the best ointment is Infadolan. It is not a cream though, but an occlusive ointment. We think an occlusive ointment with vit. A in the form of Acetate is the best (and not just us, see the various forum topics and our sales page for a detailed explanation).

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 02:41:37 AM »
For dermarolling open skin, an ointment is better than a cream, sorry not to have been more clear. Ointments are oil-based and are occlusive, they prevent evaporation and therefore prevent excessive drying out of the skin. Also, Retin A is acidic and certainly not the best solution for open skin. Dr. Des. Fernandes thinks the same. We talk about this on this forum and on the sales page. So Infadolan is the best way to supply vitamin A to your skin after dermarolling, as it contains the pH-neutral Retinol Acetate instead of the abrasive Retinoic Acid.

(For stubborn stretch marks, old scars or hypertrophic scars, I do recommend applying the A-Ret gel (it contains Retinoic Acid = Tretinoin) right after dermarolling).