Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: single needling 1.5 dermaroller  (Read 8588 times)

havingfaith

single needling 1.5 dermaroller
« on: April 18, 2010, 04:17:31 PM »
Sarah,

Is it okay at the same time to dermaroll the skin using a 1.5mm length roller and then performing individual needling on some scars using the 2mm tapered needles to penetrate a little deeper?  Would you suggest first individually needling than dermarolling or vice versa?

thanks

havingfaith

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
Sarah,

I did some researching on this site and found more information.  Why do you suggest waiting 5 days to needle individual scars?  Wouldn't it be more effective to do them at the same time?

Thanks

again

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 10:45:07 AM »
The best approach for scars that I know off is to roll the whole area (scars + their surrounding skin) with a dermaroller and then treat the individual scars only with a single needle.  You can do it at the same time or you can wait in between. We had several reasons why we suggested to wait some days:

• The skin gets red after rolling so it may be difficult to spot the individual stretch marks or scars, especially if you vigorously roll with long needles as many of our customers do.

• If you roll and needle at the same time there is a slightly higher risk of infection. I can never be sure how big the rolled areas are that our customers roll and single-needle and I do not recommend doing large areas in one go.

• Some customers told us they use EMLA but only for needling scars, not for dermarolling. Emla should not be used on open skin. The producer states this in their user manual and for safety reasons I must recommend following these instructions. because if you needle the skin first and ten use Emla for needling scars then Emla is used on needled (open) skin.

• Some of our customers first needled their stretchmarks and then  immediately rolled the whole area with a 1.5 mm dermaroller and they complained that rolling over needled patches was really painful.

I also more or less addressed your question here:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Using-a-1-5mm-Roller-then-5-days-later-a-single-needle

I'm currently digging into the subject of cultures of autologous melanocytes and their transplantation into hypopigmented scars. I would like to try the single needle for “transplanting” melanocytes from healthy skin to skin where there are no or almost no melanocytes (such as stretchmarks and other hypopigmented scars).

havingfaith

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:32:21 PM »
Sarah,

Thanks for your response.  But by needling a few days afterward is it being to aggressive or is that idea to stimulate the cells?  Also are you familiar with autologous blood injections?  

Thanks

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 05:08:37 PM »
The idea is to stimulate the skin.

Autologous blood injections are mainly used to enhance healing in places that
do not have ample blood supply such as the tendons.

Needling or rolling the skin will increase blood flow to the skin and
that blood will bring in the growth factors. Scars or stretch marks also have a limited blood supply so this is very beneficial. Needling might even lead to revascularization of the scar tissue.