Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Using makeup after dermarolling  (Read 49754 times)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Using makeup after dermarolling
« on: January 20, 2010, 03:12:38 PM »
> Sarah- just received my dermaroller and am excited to start my monthly

> dermarolling. I am trying to do everything "by the book" but had to ask

> (since I work public)  if you thought it would be okay to wear the "bare

> minerals powder" or if I indeed do not need to apply any makeup for 3

> days after dermarolling.

It depends on what size of dermaroller you have bought.

If you are using 0.2 or 0.25 mm long needles for skin product absorption enhancement then you can apply makeup an hour later. The purpose of the 0.2 mm dermaroller is to make the skin temporarily much more permeable for some beneficial skin products such as vitamin creams etc.  Its not your makeup that you want to bring deep into your skin but certain nourishing skin products.  Shallow holes made by a 0.2 mm dermaroller will close completely within say a quarter of an hour - when they have closed you can apply makeup.

After using 0.5 mm long needles you can apply makeup the next morning.

1.0 mm long needles will go into deeper layers of skin, such as the upper dermis and these pricks will trigger new collagen production. Because of this depth, you should wait until it heals before you apply makeup. You should wait at least 24 hours.

A 1.5 mm dermaroller goes into even deeper layers of skin, such as the lower dermis. If you roll quite densely, it will take at least two days for the skin to heal and lose its redness completely. For 24 hours after rolling with 1.5 mm, your skin will look mildly sunburnt, the second day the skin is still bit reddish and then it goes back to normal.

Micro-injuring the skin with needles causes massive collagen production but I would not recommend any makeup being applied to those micro-wounds for the first couple of days. If you roll on Friday evening, you can apply make up on Monday morning or if you desperately need it then on Sunday morning.

emily100

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 10:37:40 PM »
Sara,

So what is your opinion on carcinogenics within makeup products.  There is a website that shows the name of all the harmful chemicals of different makeup and skin care lines.  Seems like so many brands have many harmful ingredients. :(  Are these harmful makeup ingredients getting into our bloodstream?  Some companies say that, but I don't know if it's just a marketing gimmick or if there is truth to that deep of product penetration.  Just curious if you've found anything to substantiate this in your research of skin penetration.  Thank you so much for your time!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 04:29:38 AM »

Very much research has been done on the potential danger of chemicals used in makeup products, especially chemicals that work as hormones in the body and can contribute to breast cancer etc.

It is not within the scope of microneedling to understand the processes of skin absorbtion of intact skin, so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

But in general I can tell you that the absorbtion of chemicals into the skin depends on their water- and fat-solubility, the size of their molecule, whether they are ionized, how long they are applied etc.

So, no general rules can be given. All chemicals have wildly different skin penetration characteristics and I am sure that a lot of the marketing is just hype.

It could be theoretically possible that certain manufacturers of certain "skin penetrating" creams add solvents such as DMSO. That would increase penetration for certain chemicals.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:48:56 PM by SarahVaughter »

scarredforlife

• Forum member
Re: Using makeup after dermarolling
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 11:01:51 AM »
Can you advise of any primers/undercoatings/disinfectants that could be put under makeup to diminish absorption (I use natural powder makeup)? I ask this because I live with my boyfriend and it is almost impossible to get him to understand the dermarolling process and the fact that I have to stay out of public for a full weekend. In other words, if I roll Friday night and a friend calls on Saturday asking us to come have dinner with them, he will agree to it and not even bother asking me. It may sound like I am fishing for relationship advise, but I am not. I have accepted this and know that if I want to dermaroll I will have to compromise on the makeup situation. I refuse to go around anyone without makeup when my face already looks terrible and is red and irritated. So, having said this, do you have any suggestions for me to minimize the bad effects of the makeup? I will be using a 2.0 dermaroller on Friday night and will sometimes need makeup by Saturday afternoon. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

scarredforlife

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 11:19:28 AM »
Sorry for the multiple posts, but I forgot to ask something. As I understand it from this and other forums, the holes in the face close within an hour or two (which is why you need to immediately apply topicals), even with longer needles. This being the case, why is makeup an issue for 24-48 hours? If it is only due to irritating the outer layer of the skin, I think that is much less risky than if it were to reach below the epidermis, like, if you apply makeup immediately after rolling. You state above that your concern is mainly with pigmentation and infection. How is this possible if the skin closes after a few hours?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 06:23:32 PM »
I see you chose to ignore my advice not to use your 2 mm dermaroller: (https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/using-multiple-length-dermarollers-simultaneously)

My remark about make-up and infection was from 2010 and from our experience since, this is not really an issue because there are no infections happening. In 2010 when dermarolling method was hardly known, I was very conservative in that regard.

Nevertheless, I had and have other reasons to advise not to use makeup shortly after microneedling with long needles, unless you really have to. Make-up usually dries out the skin and the skin should be kept moisturized as much as you can after microneedling, until it heals. So make sure your makeup does not dry out the skin and apply a cream underneath the makeup.

You probably agree with me that when you for example get a strong sunburn, applying makeup on it is certainly not an optimal solution.

My advice is what I consider optimal. So, after rolling with such long needles on Friday, do not apply makeup until at least Sunday morning, especially if the skin is still "raw" from the session on Friday. If you have to apply makeup, then apply it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:30:07 PM by SarahVaughter »

scarredforlife

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 10:39:22 AM »
Thank you. This really clears things up for me. It's not that I am ignoring your advice about the 2.0, but I am contemplating all avenues and in this instance, I say 2.0 because even if I don't start out with that, I do believe I will eventually use it, and I would not want to come back to the forum and bother you once again with the same question regarding the 2.0, and also, a 2.0 derma stamp, which you did advise that I use, presents the same issue. I hope you didn't take offense, because I really do value your advice. I am well aware that as a vendor, you have to stay on the conservative side to protect yourself and your business, and while I can certainly appreciate that, I am more interested in your logic behind the suggestions so that I can make my own judgment on how risky it is. You have certainly done this and provided me with just what I was looking for, so thank you again.