Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: dermarolling over nevus  (Read 7853 times)

ksantofil

dermarolling over nevus
« on: July 19, 2010, 02:37:55 AM »
Hi Sarah,

I am a dermaroller user for 2 months for my strech marks.i started using it with dr. roller.then i found your web site by a forum which dermaroller is discussed.

i am very happy to find you,cos there are a lot of rumours flying around the roller websites.and people start to think that  it will be better to stop using it.but you give us the right direction to move forward.thanks a lot for that firstly...

my question is about nevus .i have lots of them for years (i have a very white skin )and i dont wanna make risk about them.so from the day i started using dermaroller,i am trying not to roll over them.

And now i wanna purchase your dermaroller kit with C vit. so can Vit C make a problem if i use it over nevus?or is there anyting else that i must be careful about?

And i wanna share my experience with dermaroller.As i said i am using it for the second time,I waited 5 months after first roll.And i will continue this way.When the 5 months passed i could see that the contrast of strech marks with the normal skin is getting better.i dont wanna expect too much but i  believe i will see better results as the time goes by.

thanks a lot and greetings with my whole respect from Turkey. :)

ksantofil

dermarolling over nevus
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 03:02:16 AM »
"And i wanna share my experience with dermaroller.As i said i am using it for the second time,I waited 5 months after first roll.And i will continue this way.When the 5 months passed i could see that the contrast of strech marks with the normal skin is getting better.i dont wanna expect too much but i believe i will see better results as the time goes by."

not 5 months of course,5 weeks ;) sorry

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
dermarolling over nevus
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 04:07:29 PM »
Hi,

Application of vit.C over a nevus is no problem. On the contrary. There are numerous studies confirming protective effects of vit.C from UV damage. I present two studies:

Topical vitamin C protects porcine skin from ultraviolet radiation-induced damage

Darr D, Combs S, Dunston S, Manning T, Pinnell S

1 Duke University Medical Center, Division of Dermatology, Durham, NC, U.S.A.   *NCSU School of Veterinary Medicine, Raleigh, NC, U.S.A.

Copyright 1992 British Association of Dermatologists

ABSTRACT

Summary: Ultraviolet radiation damage to the skin is due, in part, to the generation of reactive oxygen species. Vitamin C (l-ascorbic acid) functions as a biological co-factor and antioxidant due to its reducing properties. Topical application of vitamin C has been shown to elevate significantly cutaneous levels of this vitamin in pigs, and this correlates with protection of the skin from UVB damage as measured by erythema and sunburn cell formation. This protection is biological and due to the reducing properties of the molecule. Further, we provide evidence that the vitamin C levels of the skin can be severely depleted after UV irradiation, which would lower this organ's innate protective mechanism as well as leaving it at risk of impaired healing after photoinduced damage. In addition, vitamin C protects porcine skin from UVA-mediated phototoxic reactions (PUVA) and therefore shows promise as a broad-spectrum photoprotectant.

Topical
Vitamin C: A Useful Agent for Treating Photoaging and Other Dermatologic Conditions

Farris Patricia K., MD 1

1 Department of Dermatology, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana

Copyright 2005 American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, Inc.

ABSTRACT                  

Background
. Cosmeceuticals containing antioxidants are among the most popular antiaging remedies. Topically applied antioxidants exert their benefits by offering protection from damaging free radicals produced when skin is exposed to ultraviolet light or allowed to age naturally. Vitamin C is a naturally occurring potent water-soluble antioxidant. Accordingly, it has been incorporated into a variety of cosmeceuticals designed to protect and rejuvenate photoaged skin.

Objective
. This article reviews the scientific data and clinical studies supporting the use of topically applied vitamin C for treating photoaged skin. Other innovative uses for vitamin C cosmeceuticals are also discussed.

Conclusion.
  A significant body of scientific research supports the use of cosmeceuticals containing vitamin C. Cutaneous benefits include promoting collagen synthesis, photoprotection from ultraviolet A and B, lightening hyperpigmentation, and improvement of a variety of inflammatory dermatoses. Because of the diverse biologic effects of this compound, topical vitamin C has become a useful part of the dermatologist's armamentarium.

Do not needle nevus/moles and try to avoid them when rolling. Rolling over freckles is OK.

Concerning nevus/moles, watch for these changes. On the left side there are melanomas on the right side there are “healthy” moles:

Attached files

ksantofil

dermarolling over nevus
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 05:29:59 AM »
thanks a lot for your information.