Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Dermarolling the remnants of cystic acne  (Read 16195 times)

hope2011

Dermarolling the remnants of cystic acne
« on: September 20, 2011, 12:13:21 AM »
Hi Sarah,

I'm a sufferer of a random bout of cystic acne (last year) and am still dealing with the trauma on my skin. I have some ice pick and some boxcar scars on my cheeks that i'm hoping to somehow fix or bring out to a better level than they are right now. I have seen a number of dermatologists who have suggested various lasers and such but i'm afraid to take that route. Dermarolling seems like an interesting way to regain the fat/collagen loss in those scars. I'm currently using retin a (0.05%) at night on the hyperpigmentation followed by jojoba oil or vit E oil as moisturizer.

I'm considering ordering the 0.5mm dermaroller but wanted to know from your end the following answers:

- How often should I use it?

- What should I apply along with the roller (continue with retin a?) - what about CP and Vit c serum?

Any tips and suggestions you provide would be great and help me get on my way to start the process.

Thanks in advance

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Dermarolling the remnants of cystic acne
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 01:18:52 PM »
Sorry for my delayed answer.

A 0.5 mm dermaroller is efficient to treat hyperpigmentations (also acne post inflammatory pigmentation) and to improve an overall skin texture but if you intend to improve scars you need needles long enough to reach the dermis part of the skin. A 0.5 mm roller reaches only the top of the dermis.

I would recommend you to use a 0.5 mm roller in combination with the single needles. You will roll your entire face with the roller (twice a week) and needle your deep scars with the single needles. You can use the single needles every day but do not needle the same scar more than once in four weeks.

Some tips concerning the products:   
https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Best-Skin-Care-Routine
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:46:16 AM by SarahVaughter »

Skin44

• Forum member
Re: Dermarolling the remnants of cystic acne
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 06:41:50 AM »
I also have cystic acne. Luckily the cysts are small and once they have gone (4-6 weeks) the main scarring is discolored skin rather than large indents. Because my acne is caused by gluten intolerance it is an on-going problem. The main areas affected are jaw line and chin, occasionally the cheeks.  So I wanted to ask if I can dermaroll when I have an outbreak?

I don't take any medication for my acne, I simply treat my skin very gently - wash with oilatum soap, cleanse with rose water and apply coconut oil at night. Daytime I wear a  sun screen and a light foundation which do not contain gluten ingredients. 4 years ago when the acne first became severe (prior to gluten being diagnosed as the route cause) I was on a course of Accutane. It improved the acne and had no detrimental affect on my skin, but within months of completing the course, the acne was back.  Apart from the acne I consider my skin to be in good order, normal/slightly greasy and slightly aging (I'm 44)   

I am considering a 1mm roller to assist the facial skin in general and a single needle for old deeper scars - does this sound right? Or should I go for the 1.5 mm roller, given that whilst on this program I would like to manage the natural aging effects too and promote collagen production?

Also are the cream products - Tretoin and Infadolin free of gluten ingredients? 

Ps I have attached a photo - this is 4 weeks after a mild outbreak and the cysts have gone

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 02:41:26 PM »
Your porcelain skin looks great, especially for your age.

Our creams do not contain gluten.

Our Tretinoin cream helps keeping acne under control and also speeds up diminishing of post acne spots.

Do not buy our Infadolan ointment for dermarolling aftercare because in your case it could break you out but keep the treated area moisturized.

You are lucky that your cystic acne does not normally leave scars.

If you do have some scars from the past, buy a 1.5 mm dermastamp (not a dermaroller) and stamp the scars every three weeks.

A 1 mm dermaroller (as you suggested) is a good idea for an overall facial care.

When you have a severe outbreak of cystic acne, you should wait with dermarolling until it calms down a little.  Just avoid dermarolling right in the middle of a raging outbreak. That is all.

Skin44

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »
I've received my products and and am in the preparation phase before I start dermarolling. The retirides cream 0,05% is proving to be really effective.

I previously had retinol-A cream prescribed by my doctor and it proved to be useless, but the retirides is really working. I have a few old cystic lumps on my skin which need to calm down before I start rolling. I've noticed that after 4 days the lumps have really reduced and there is minimal discolouration. I put the tiniest amount on the lumps every day and apply cream to the rest of my face in a very thin layer ever 3 days. I've had no negative reactions at all. Very pleased indeed and the product is clearly gluten-free, as you said Sarah.

Posting this in case anyone else out there has cystic acne and thinks, as I did, that Retinol-A creams are pointless - this Retirides 0,05% cream is working well on my skin and may be worth a go.

I will be trying my first 'rolling' in about a weeks time.

Tomas

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 02:14:07 PM »
Thank you for that info. I have been using Obagi Tretinoin and while it helps somewhat, it seems like others have much better results. I'm not sure if that particular cream has ratinol a or retirides in it. Will look into it.

Can you tell me how you found out it was gluten causing your breakouts?

Tomas

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 07:18:20 PM »
I did some googling and it seems as if retirides is a cream sold in Spain, but it's basically tretinoin. Basically, there is no difference. Is that correct?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 04:22:40 AM »
Correct.

Skin44

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 10:34:16 AM »
Tomas - It was pure luck that I discovered the link with gluten. After treatment with Accutane my acne successfully cleared up. Coincidentally, I never ate much wheat based products. My acne remained fairly dormant for 6 months after treatment with an occasional spot or cyst. Then one weekend I went to visit a friend and the foodstuffs consisted of bagels, hamburgers, pizza, sandwiches and beer for two whole days. Within 48 hours I had severe patches of cysts on parts of my body and a breakout on my face. I suspected wheat was the cause and my doctor was able to confirm a gluten sensitivity.
In short, I first cut out all wheat from my diet and the acne improved. I then went fully gluten-free and the problem improved still further.

With regard to the Retirides cream - I suspect the product I was originally given was a lower % than the one I'm using now.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
Skin 44, thank you for helping the others by writing about your experience.

Could you please make a new forum posting in this "sticky" thread:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/questions-about-our-three-a-ret-creams/

and copy there what you said about our Tretinoin cream helping with your cystic acne remains?

Tomas

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 01:57:49 PM »
Thank you! I keep reading here on the forum "now that my acne is under control". I still break out, so I'm trying to find out what helped others.

You had some tests done to determine gluten sensitivity. Maybe I should do the same, to get to the root of the problem.

I'm currently using 0.1% Obagi Trerinoin, which is the strongest concentration.