Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Pre Post Serum After Skin Needling  (Read 13737 times)

Hoping2improve

• Forum member
Pre Post Serum After Skin Needling
« on: January 07, 2012, 11:25:28 PM »
I know that Niacinamide (vitamin B3) has anti-inflammatory capabilities, but I can’t locate information on if it has mild anti-inflammatory activity on the skin. I also know that Vitamin C (L-Ascorbic Acid) has anti-inflammatory properties, but I believe that it is mild and the benefits of using it far outweighs any negative ones.

I use a homemade serum of 10% vitamin C (L-Ascorbic Acid), niacinamide (vitamin b3), hyaluronic acid, and water on my skin nightly as my daily antioxidant regimen. I know that the possible downside of  hyaluronic acid (humectant) is that it can possibly draw moisture from the skin due to lack of humidity in the hair and vice versa, but  I love the way that it makes the formula into a slight gel like consistency.  

Is that mixture ok to use before and after needling my skin? I don’t want anything to interfere with the skin inflammation after needling because I have read how important that was.

Thanks.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 11:50:45 AM »
I also don't know how strong an anti-inflammatory nicotinamid is but is has been used for suppressing inflammatory conditions:

<strong>Pharmacologic doses of nicotinamide in the treatment of inflammatory skin conditions: a review.</strong>

Niren NM

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pennsylvania, USA.

Abstract

During the past 50 years, many clinical reports have identified nicotinamide as a beneficial agent in the treatment of a variety of inflammatory skin disorders; what's more, its exceptional safety profile at pharmacologic doses makes it a potentially ideal long-term oral therapy for patients with inflammatory skin diseases. A recent large study evaluating nicotinamide for the treatment of acne or rosacea has confirmed the potential benefits of oral nicotinamide as an alternative approach to managing inflammatory lesions associated with acne vulgaris and acne rosacea. This article reviews the substantial number of reports published over the past 50 years that document the clinical utility and safety of oral and topical formulations of nicotinamide for the treatment of a variety of inflammatory skin conditions.

Most vitamins have an anti-inflammatory effect, which is indeed good for the skin.

You can apply your cream the days before and the days after. To be honest, I do not know whether your cream affects the inflammation so strongly that it should be avoided right after dermarolling with long needles.

You can try applying it immediately after dermarolling and compare the signs of inflammation to dermarolling without the cream.

The signs of inflammation are described here;

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/How-long-does-the-inflammation-stage-lasts-after-rolling-with-long-needles

I wrote about hyaluronic acid here:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/can-I-use-the-Hyaluronic-acid-serum-100-pure
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 06:24:19 PM by SarahVaughter »

Hoping2improve

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 07:29:38 PM »
Thanks. I also have another question.

I read on a product site (that I no longer frequent) that that I should not use copper-peptides and vitamin C together or within 12 hours of each other because vitamin C inactivates itself when used with a peptide. I don't really trust information from that site to be correct anymore. Before I  did my own research and aware of the companies false claims, I purchased products that were ineffective and expensive. In fact, there was a post on this forum that led me to question the effectiveness of the product that I had purchased. Then, after using it for months, it reaffirmed that the company mislead me.

I was so tired of being tricked that I started creating and researching to make my own cream/serum  (only for my personal use). Last night, I combined 5% Tripeptide-5, 10% Vitamin C, 5% Niacinamide, 5% Licorice Extract, 4% Retinol, 5% Green Tea Extract, 5% Alpha Arbutin, and  the remainder was water. I remember today that I read that I shouldn't mix/apply vitamin c and peptides together, which is the reason for my first post on this forum. I accidently mixed up the question regarding vitamin A, but it should have been about peptide because I forgot about it. I only remember that Vitamin C clashed with a ingredient, but I couldn't remember which ingredient, so, I thought it was Vitamin A. Could peptide and vitamin C be combined together?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 03:44:09 PM »
Metals (such as copper) can interact with vit. C and to ensure getting the best out of both, it is wiser using them separately.

Firefox7275

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 04:40:04 PM »
HopingtoImprove there is an active DIY community including people with a science research background on the Skincaretalk forums, so searching the DIY board and the recipes section can save you a lot of research.

Hoping2improve

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 12:44:10 AM »
Sarah.. thanks for your reply.

Firefox7275... thanks for suggesting the site. I have been there numerous times before, but I have never heard or browsed that section.