Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Piggyback question r/t newbie with severe skin issues about accutane...  (Read 8929 times)

Luchitas

• Forum member
Hi all,

I have rolled for one month now following all of Sarah's classic rolling advise, routine, and products.  I have many acne scars due to cystic acne in my early twenties( I am now 39) and a 5 month treatment with accutane. I think you asked Cheeky if she had used accutane and I am curious if there is any information I need to know about the former use of accutane and dermarolling?  It has been about 18 years since completing my 5 month round of treatment with accutane.

Thank you,

Lisa

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Piggyback question r/t newbie with severe skin issues about accutane...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 02:42:41 PM »
Accutane usually thins the skin and impairs healing. That is why nobody likes to perform Laser- or other invasive methods on someone taking Accutane, even 6-12 months post-Accutane..

Sometimes, Accutane greatly improves acne but the acne then leaves scars in quite a few cases.

If you quit taking Accutane 18 years ago, there is no problem with anything.

xxjackiex

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 06:52:02 PM »
Hey just curious since Accutane thins the skin can it cause stretchmarks? my sister said that could be my reason of getting them after / more after having a baby

Luchitas

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:37:43 PM »
Thank you, Sarah.

I did not get a lot of stretch marks with either of my babies.  I gained 60lbs with my first child and i am 5' 1",  105lbs normally.  Although, when I had my first child I had been finished with my accutane treatment for abot 8 years.  That was my experience.

Lisa

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 11:16:45 AM »
It is an interesting question whether Accutane could increase the number and severity of stretch marks but as far as I could establish, there were no studies done about it.

Accutane is strongly contraindicated during pregnancy or if planning a pregnancy.

How many months after quitting Accutane did you get pregnant?

There have been many reports of impaired healing and scar formation after dermabrasion, acid peels, laser procedures, plastic surgery etc. in individuals who were taking Accutane at the time of the procedure or up to 6-24 months after quitting Accutane. It is recommended to wait 6-12 months.

xxjackiex

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 04:28:28 PM »
i was on accutane 3 1/2 years ago im pretty sure.. my son is 8 months old now i got stretch marks all over my legs from weightloss of 2 months 20 pounds believe it or not .. :/

Swan

• Forum member
Hi,'

I also was on Accutane, but this was almost 20 years ago

I had my first child seven years ago, and got very little in the way of stretchmarks. I have a few light ones on belly, but can wear a bikini and the stretchmarks are barely visible.

So I'm thinking that is a VERY good sign of skin health, even after Accutane use.