Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Silicone Therapy for Scars  (Read 10198 times)

ivanshine

Silicone Therapy for Scars
« on: March 21, 2012, 06:07:59 PM »
I recently began using a product which contains a concentrated silicone solution and is applied to a scar and massaged in.  They also have a product involving thin plastic sheets.  I don't know if it's proper to mention the company.

Has Sarah or anyone else used these products?  I am quite happy with it after just a few weeks.  It has helped my acne scars at least 50%.  I don't know if I need to maintain usage or if there will be even more improvement in time. (I have used Retin-A for years).

Anyway, in seeking more info on scar therapy I came across 'roller' therapy.  I have now ordered the basic products here and will begin dermarolling to supplement the silicone.  Together, I imagine I will be very satisfied!

I am also wondering why the 'webshop' isn't offering the silicone products?  Is it dangerous, or not recommended to use along with dermarollers?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 07:10:47 PM »
You mean Biodermis? I am sorry but this forum is only to support our products and it is against forum rules to namedrop products or companies. The problem is that unrestricted forums always degenerate into spamfests,  even though most bona-fide forum participants are unaware of the fact  that a large number of people are simply paid spammers located in the  Philippines, getting paid a dollar for each posting left standing. We  see a lot of that kind of spamming for dermarollers (Dr. Roller and  Scientia employ paid spammers). Nowadays, it has become impossible to  distinguish a professional spammer from a genuine forum poster.

I have written about silicone products before - they most likely work on the basis of occlusion:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Kelo-cote-cream-for-hypertrophic-scars

There are countless products out there and  there aren't enough hours in a day to research them all.

The product you're referring to is intended for keloid and hypertrophic scars, not acne scars so I think it's interesting that you achieved such a good result in such a short time. I wonder whether it will last. It would be great that a cream that costs a few cents to make would have such a spectacular, permanent effect on such hard-to-treat scars. I'm a bit sceptical. Biodermis is the leader in Silicone scar treatment and they specifically state that their products do not work on acne scars in point 5:

https://http://www.biodermis.com/scar_product_faq/2

To rub silicone into a needled scar would seem risky business to me, as you do not want to get silicone into your system, as it is inert (does not break down). Anything that can interfere with the inflammatory process also is a big no-no, so I would certainly not combine the two.

We may start selling such creams but only when there is strong evidence that it really works. Let us know your progress (before and after pictures), and it would be useful to have others reporting their long-term progress here as well. It's in our philosophy to offer the cheapest solution possible, so if it really works, we'd probably start selling silicone from DIY shops if the solvent they use is similar to the one used in skin creams - a comparable quantity you'll find in a silicone kit tube costs a few thousand dollars from Biodermis. Since the principle is occlusion, silicone from a home improvement shop should have a comparable effect..

ivanshine

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:02:48 PM »
Sorry about bringing up an unwelcome product.  I'm glad I didn't mention the brand which is not the one you mentioned.  I'm not sure if it works the same but I am now worried about what you said about silicone entering the body.  My concerns about this product led me to try to find info online, which led me to this site and others dealing with dermarollers.  25 or so years ago I had a dermatologist inject silicone into scar depressions.  I'm not sure about what safety concerns existed then.  I just believed in trusting the doctor at that time!

I don't have keloid scarring. Just typical acne scarring.  And the silicone seems to have made a noticeable difference.  But I guess I'll need to find out more about the potential problems.  Anyway, I placed my order with you today and looking forward to dermaroller therapy.

ivanshine

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 06:34:08 AM »
"I cannot answer whether a needled scar will react in the same way as a new scar. All I can say is that it the fight to improve scars, you have to improvise a little and try different approaches. If needling itself doesn't improve the scar, try needling + silicon, needling +Tretinoin etc. until some combination will hopefully work."

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Kelo-cote-cream-for-hypertrophic-scars

I saw this post you made earlier this month.  You advised improvising in some cases and mentioned 'silicone/needling' together.  Although not indicating how closely in time they would be administered.  

Yet in this thread you seem to reject the idea of those 2 therapies used together.

"To rub silicone into a needled scar would seem risky business to me, as you do not want to get silicone into your system, as it is inert (does not break down). Anything that can interfere with the inflammatory process also is a big no-no, so I would certainly not combine the two."

:confused:

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 07:01:37 PM »
Thanks for pointing this out. I have just fixed it in my forum posting about silicone. I meant to say needling + silicone sheets.

You can use liquid silicone or silicone gel but better not immediately after needling (on open skin).

Needle the scar to soften it and the day after you can apply silicone gel.