Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Vit C burn  (Read 6519 times)

cvw

Vit C burn
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:24:34 PM »
After dermarolling with a 0.5mm roller, I applied the ascorbic acid serum which burned very badly. One area on my cheek formed a thin, crusty brown scab but it was not painful to the touch. Silly me, decided it would be fine to apply the vit C again last night. IT BURNED! Quite literally, that part of my cheek is now blistered, white and red, and has a thick crust over it which is very painful to the touch. Right now it is all raised but I am worried it will result in an indent or groove on that part of my face. It is right below my cheek bone so if the burn sinks in it will be very noticeable. Has anyone else experienced this? Will it form an indented scar?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Vit C burn
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 06:44:48 PM »
I am sorry to hear it. Do not worry; it will not leave any permanent damage.

Keep it very much moisturized, preferably with occlusive creams like Vaseline.
    Do not forcibly remove the scabs! The longer the scabs stay the better.

If you apply vit. C after dermarolling (only recommended with a 0.5 mm dermaroller or shorter) you should dilute the serum with much more water because dermarolling greatly enhances its penetration. A test patch is also always recommended.

I have added an extra warning to our dermarolling instructions to clarify this.

Unfortunately, not everybody reacts the same. We have customers who routinely apply acidic products such as the A-Ret cream on their face after dermarolling without any problems. When I applied the lowest concentration (0.025%) on my face after rolling with a 0.2 mm roller, my face was burning for hours. That is why I do not recommend the application of A-Ret (Tretinoin) right after dermarolling the face (you can apply it only into individual scars or stretch marks but not spread it all over your face). A test patch is a must.

helenerlunsford33

Vit C burn
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:56:02 AM »
That's a lesson well learned. When we apply acidic materials, we should take note of the amount we place especially on our skin as it may do something bad. We should also be careful of the products that we buy. Of course, we only get those from the experts who know their stuff.

cvw

Vit C burn
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 07:52:30 PM »
So the scab completely came off after gently cleansing it and keeping it slathered with vaseline and honey for a few days (band-aid at night, sun hat during the day).

The skin underneath is a little pink but absolutely no permanent damage.

Thanks for the replies! I hope others learn from my mistakes and if not, they'll know what to do if they use too high a concentration of vit C.