Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Anything that numbs better than EMLA?  (Read 22483 times)

S83

Anything that numbs better than EMLA?
« on: June 29, 2012, 07:28:46 AM »
Hi Sarah,

I forgot to ask a question about EMLA cream in my previous post.

I have been using it as instructed before rolling legs with 1mm dermaroller but frankly speaking it doesn't help at all - I find the whole process extremely painful, especially in certain areas. Can you please suggest any alternative that I could try out - either a method or a product?

Have you tried Dr. Numb creams? They are used in tattooing salons but not sure if ingredients are the same and/or of the same strength.

Never mind Dr. Numb - is there anything else at all that I could do to help myself bear each procedure? Thanks a lot. I  sincerely appreciate all your help!

All best,
S83
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 04:05:17 PM by SarahVaughter »

Streak

• Forum member
Re: Anything that numbs better than EMLA?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 12:28:56 PM »
S83,

Are you covering the cream with plastic wrap while you wait the allotted time?

For some reason people seem to miss that in the instructions (I did it myself years ago when I first used it) but it's a crucial step, otherwise it won't work.

I've always found Emla to be very effective, and I'm a wimp about pain so a good pain blocker is a must for me. I've tried sprays and creams from tattoo supply stores but they didn't seem to work as well.

Good luck - hope you get it all figured out soon!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 04:05:59 PM by SarahVaughter »

S83

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 05:46:53 AM »
Thanks Streak... Yes, I am covering it in plastic wrap but it seems to make very little difference. I know I have low pain tolerance but I was expecting at least some relief (unless I'm totally wrong and rolling without EMLA would be impossible for me! Haven't tried rolling my legs without it). I will try EMLA + ice packs next time. Everyone seems to be doing quite well so I'm a bit puzzled why I am experiencing a lot of pain. Perhaps I'm wrong... Anyone else having similar experiences (and solutions for it)? Thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:47:31 AM by S83 »

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 02:11:52 PM »
Most topical numbing creams contain Lidocaine.

Emla contains 2.5% Lidocaine and 2.5 % Prilocaine.

Xylocaine cream contains 5% Lidocaine.

You have to leave it on for at least 45 minutes and if you cover it with saran wrap, it will enhance the efficacy. Do not apply a numbing cream on extensive areas in one session.

The skin will never be completely numb when using an OTC numbing cream but it will reduce the pain to a more bearable level. A numbing cream that makes skin more numb contains a higher percentage of numbing substance and this percentage can only be administered by trained staff.

From my own experience, the only area I am not able to roll/stamp/needle without a numbing cream is the area above the upper lip. I feel pain in spite of using a numbing cream but the pain is very much reduced.

S83

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 03:15:55 PM »
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your speedy response.

I always leave it for 45+ minutes and always use cling film/saran but I guess I am pretty sensitive to pain. I will try EMLA + ice packs and perhaps some other numbing cream (without and in combination with ice packs) to see what works the best for me. Will report later on when I have tried several options.

Re: rolling on the face - I can do cheeks (no problems whatsoever), chin even upper lip OK but as soon as I touch forehead.... that's another story. My eyes start to water, I get light-sensitive so looking in the mirror gets pretty difficult! I sometimes also sneeze, especially when I roll above between eyebrows. And that's rolling with 0.2mm roller, never mind other rollers!! Funny, isn't it? :)