Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Using a 1.5mm Roller then 5 days later a single needle...  (Read 8550 times)

Chrystal

Using a 1.5mm Roller then 5 days later a single needle...
« on: February 28, 2010, 05:13:41 PM »
Hi,

I purchased your single needle kit last weekend and I'm eagerly awaiting it to arrive in the post! :D

I have been reading through the PDF instructions found on your website. I see it states to roll with a 1.5mm roller then 5 days later use the single needle on just the stretch marks. Can I just ask, why this way is suggested?

I have  myself used a 1.5mm roller a couple of times last year. But only once, on my thigh and one breast. Unfortunately I never really got round to doing my 2nd roll 4-6 weeks later and so on.

I was just wondering why it isn't recommended to simply use the single needle alone, every 4-8 weeks? and needle the stretch marks themselves, rather than using a 1.5mm roller over the whole area 5 days prior. Is there a benefit when using the 1.5mm first?

I hope I have made sense.

Thank you

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 11:46:55 AM »
Hi Crystal,

We are so far the only vendor that offers a single needle, so there wasn't any data on its use. We tried to recommend a schedule that we thought would be close to optimal, based on what we understand about skin regeneration.

The reasons for recommending to use the dermaroller first is mainly that it stimulates the surrounding skin as well. Many things happen when you roll skin. You'll increase the bloodflow for quite a while (days), which increases oxygen levels, temperature and triggers certain very complex inflammatory responses that initiate skin regeneration. These processes are incredibly complex and one can drown in the details, explained in countless thick research papers. If you'd just single-needle the stretchmark alone, we thought that might be sub-optimal. However, we can't be sure of that. Nobody can really say they know. We know that the single needle works because we have customer pictures to prove it and the clinical data exists to back it up (that on scars and stretchmarks with hardened collagen, localized, exactly targeted longer needles work better than 1.5 mm needles or even 2 mm needles, due to selective crushing of scar tissue).

We had one more reason for advising to use a roller first: Contrast optimization of the scar. We thought that if you would single-needle the scar only, without rolling, that there would still be a spurious boundary between the normal skin and the stretchmark. We thought that rolling first would help "blur" the stretchmark with the surrounding skin, by initiating an inflammatory reaction in both, triggering new collagen and elastin in both, creating a smoother transition between normal skin and stretchmark. We know someone who got good results by first using a very strong abrasive on the surrounding skin and then using a single-needle technique similar to ours. Using a dermaroller instead of an abrasive should be safer and give an even better result (because it goes deeper).

So this is based on educated guesses, basically. You are free to think about this yourself and decide how you'd like to approach it. It depends also on how wide your scars / stretchmarks are, and how big the contrast with the surrounding skin is. So you are free to experiment - what we gave is just an educated guess. One year from now we'll be in a better position to make more definite statements.

Hope this helps :-)

Chrystal

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 12:41:54 PM »
Thank you for your reply Sarah, it has been very helpful.

FINLEY

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:49:24 AM »
After using the single needle on my scars should I wait 4 weeks before I roll again, or should I wait 5 wks- I am a little confused about that.  (I do not want to interfere with the collagen regeneration.)  I rolled my face the second time yesterday, after waiting 5 wks from single needling, and found the rolling much easier the second time around:)  I so appreciate your products!!!!!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 04:54:07 PM »
A four-week gap is long enough, except when you've rolled very vigorously. Prolong the gap accordingly. I want to stress again that deep micro-needling requires long recovery periods, but they also yield the best results.

However you can use a 0.20 or 0.25 mm roller up to 3 times a week for skin care product penetration in between rolling with long needles.

You don't have to apply skin care products (vit. C etc.) excessively or very frequently. Set up a routine that is comfortable for you and you have time to stick to.