Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Nervous about first time dermastamping  (Read 7642 times)

cyrus323

Nervous about first time dermastamping
« on: November 11, 2012, 11:06:49 PM »
Hi,

First of all, i have Asian skin so my skin is darker... I got a shave removal of a mole on my upper lip area and it resulted in a sunken scar that isn't that deep but leaves a shadow in certain lighting... see circled image:

First, is dermastamping the best method or should I do single-needling or even suctioning?

2) Will dermastamping over the area cause the healthy skin around the indented scar to change color also? I'm concerned that I will get darker skin around a bigger area if I do dermstamp over the scar.

3) Will dermastamping fill in the scar completely? (it's pretty shallow I think) Lastly, how big will the new scar be and will it be a different color than the surrounding healthy skin?

4) I bought a 0.5mm dermastamp, is this the right size and how many times do I stamp on my first session?

cyrus323

Re: Nervous about first time dermastamping
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 12:26:52 AM »
also the removal was done 2.5 months ago, so it won't fill in if I wait longer will it? (should i go ahead with dermastamping?

Will shaving over the area with a razor stimulate the collagen to grow and thus fill in?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 10:59:31 AM »
>2) Will dermastamping over the area cause the healthy skin around the indented scar to change color also? I'm concerned that I will get darker skin around a bigger area if I do dermstamp over the scar.

It is very rare that microneedling causes long term hyperpigmentation and it only sometimes happens in individual that are very prone to hyperpigmentations. Do a test patch somewhere on the side of your face to see how your skin reacts. Initial redness and darkish skin for several days after microneedling is normal.

>3) Will dermastamping fill in the scar completely? (it's pretty shallow I think)

If you are lucky it will fill in completely but there is no guarantee.

>how big will the new scar be and will it be a different color than the surrounding healthy skin?

Microneedling does not cause scarring. There will be no new scar.

>4) I bought a 0.5mm dermastamp, is this the right size and how many times do I stamp on my first session?

A 1 mm stamp would have been a better choice but this may also work. Start slowly and when it heals OK, add more stampings in your next session.

>also the removal was done 2.5 months ago, so it won't fill in if I wait longer will it? Should i go ahead with dermastamping?

The indentation is almost invisible and you can start with dermastamping but in your case, you should wait longer - it may still improve by itself.

>Will shaving over the area with a razor stimulate the collagen to grow and thus fill in?

Maybe. The scar is very shallow, so it might.

cyrus323

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 07:07:44 PM »
Sarah, thanks for your responses, just a couple more questions, :)

1) How long do you think I should wait before I try dermastamping? 6 months? 1 yr?

2) Will repeatedly dermastamping eventually fill in the scar or is there a certain "limit" where the scar won't fill in anymore even with dermastamping?

3) Also, just curious why you recommend a 1mm stamp instead of 0.5mm- will 1mm be too deep for skin on my face?

4) As for post-treatment, can I apply vaseline or do you recommend infadolin? Will not putting anything result in comparable results to if I did?

5) Lastly, do you think dermastamping is the best method for me, or should I do single needling or suctioning?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 04:55:38 PM »
1) How long do you think I should wait before I try dermastamping? 6 months? 1 yr?

Wait about three months. If it is improving by itself during those three months, wait longer.

2) Will repeatedly dermastamping eventually fill in the scar or is there a certain "limit" where the scar won't fill in anymore even with dermastamping?

This is individual.

3) Also, just curious why you recommend a 1mm stamp instead of 0.5mm- will 1mm be too deep for skin on my face?

Scars are in the dermis and that requires long needles but a 0.5 mm stamp reaches the top of the dermis and that is likely enough in your case because your scar is shallow.

4) As for post-treatment, can I apply vaseline or do you recommend infadolin? Will not putting anything result in comparable results to if I did?

You should keep the stamped skin moisturized.

5) Lastly, do you think dermastamping is the best method for me, or should I do single needling or suctioning?

Single needling is also an option but you already have a dermastamp and that is comparably effective.
No suctioning. I do not think this kind f scar is tethered.